Thread: Grizzly G1071 Spindle Sander

Grizzly G1071 Spindle Sander

I am in a Woodworking Guild with 50 plus members. We have a Grizzly G1071 Spindle Sander. This Spindle Sander now has a bent spindle that can not be taken out. The proper wrenches are not there. I am going to get some wrenches and give it a try. Any suggestions, Penetrating oil, heat or other remedies. Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Last edited by kevin nee; 08-12-2020 at 4:36 AM.

Proper wrenches first. Talk to Grizzly to make sure there is nothing you’re missing, Kroil is my favorite for unsticking stuck stuff.

Blog Entries
    Proper wrenches and remember the spindle will most likely loosen the same direction it spins under power. Mine is left-hand threaded.

I was going to recommend tappet wrenches but, looking at the manual it looks like there is plenty of room in there for regular open end wrenches. It also looks like the spindle nut is held to the spindle via a couple of set screws so watch for that. A tip from the manual (available at Grizzly for free):

Tip: If the spindle has not been removed for
    some time and is stuck, run the machine until
    the spindle housing heats up, then retry.

Also this helpful tidbit:

NOTICE
    DO NOT tighten the sanding spindle with
    a wrench! The sanding action will further
    tighten the spindle to the sander. Using a
    wrench could make removal difficult.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-12-2020 at 1:19 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I believe they are tapered so you're not going to get penetrating oil down into it. I think I would remove the table just to make it a little easier. The wrenches are thinner than a normal wrench and large, like 1 1/8". If you can get a little heat on the lower nuts that might help expand the lower spindle. If all else fails you may need to remove the lower spindle from the gear box.

Thanks for the replies pretty much along the lines I was thinking. I am pretty sure heat will be needed. I won’t be able to get after it until late in weekend. Here is a little more info. There was a can of Never Seez for aluminum that they have been using. I’m my construction equipment repair days I remember aluminum & steel not being good friends and difficult to get apart. Could Never Seez for aluminum have any reaction in this instance, and any remedies.
    Thanks for reading this, Kevin

Mixing metals causes galvanic corrosion. I don’t see how never seize would do anything but help.