Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to prevent corrosion?

What do you use to prevent corrosion?

Greetings to all --

For those of you who live in hot and humid climates, what is your preferred method of preventing corrosion on your precious equipment, specifically cast iron?

And how often to you do it?

Do you use any different product/technique for long term vs. short term?

Thanks in advance --

I live in a hot humid climate, but don't have a problem with corosion. It's rust. I use standard Johnson's Paste Wax most of the time. Occasionally I'll use a product called Bostik GlideCote.. It works well also. I generally apply it about 3-4 times a year depending on how much use it gets.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I don't get into the shop to much as of late.
    What I do use to prevent corrosion is Johnson's Past wax. Typically I put it on all cast when I see a spot of rust on a machine. It doesn't take long to put it on all machines. I will removerl the rust spot that I saw with wd-40 and 1000 grit paper first. Then put on the paste wax.

Someone here gave me an idea a couple years back to put on a coat of wipe on poly on my tablesaw and hand planes. I've found it lasts a year or so. (I tried shellac too but it wasnt as durable.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I live in humid East Tennessee. I use a dehumidifier. My shop is well sealed so it can be maintained in the 45-50% range.

+1 for Johnson's paste wax. Boeshield gets mentioned often and I use it for other metal protection, just not cast iron tops that see wear from wood passing over them. What I find is that you have to do it a LOT at first. Then, you get to point where the iron's pore get filled with it and it only requires re-application every so often. Like seasoning a cast iron skillet.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Crc 3.36..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Crc 3.36..
    This. Until recently I had an uninsulated steel roof. Temperature swings are ~30f daily. Even without leaks it'd drip in the morning.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Johnsons paste wax. Attack any rust spots as soon as they appear. I try to run the air and a dehumidifier during the rainy season. It has rained every day this year. Not really ,it just seems like it.
    Charlie Jones

CRC 3-36, though I've been thinking about Johnson's Paste Wax more lately.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Air Conditioner. I have a small one in the shop. It isn't quite big enough to keep the shop pleasantly cool, but it does keep condensation off the tools. Believe it or not, it does get quite hot and humid up north here, as bad as the South, just not for 6 months straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Air Conditioner. I have a small one in the shop. It isn't quite big enough to keep the shop pleasantly cool, but it does keep condensation off the tools. Believe it or not, it does get quite hot and humid up north here, as bad as the South, just not for 6 months straight.
    Yep, pretty much unless you're on Superior... We'd be chilly in Duluth/Superior, and it was sweltering up on the range.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    As a southerner who has moved north to Tennessee - it’s hard to beat Johnson’s paste wax.
    In South Georgia and within 40 minutes of the coast it was crazy humid 3/4 of the year. That requires some form of environmental control. But here in Tennessee some paste wax is hard to beat. Some naval jelly with phosphoric acid on occasion when I’ve accidentally let a surface go too long and laid some wet wood on it (most of these higher cost cleaners going by all sorts of names use phosphoric acid - so does Coca Cola).

I've nto had as much luck with paste wax as others. Now here is my go-to routine:

First clean off any rust with WD40 and 0000 steel wool. Then wipe clean with alcohol or paint thinner. Let dry. Spray a heavy coat of CRC 3-36 on it and don't touch it. Let it sit overnight to soak in. In the morning wipe off with paper towels. Now you have a surface that will resist rusting for up to 12 months or more.

I 2nd the CRC 3-36 works well easy to apply.