Thread: MFT Holes vs T-Track for outfeed table

Blog Entries

MFT Holes vs T-Track for outfeed table

So I had decided that the MFT holes system was the way to go for my outfeed table from my SawStop PCS vs the T-Track, then got to thinking that because it is an outfeed table AND will have cabinets (drawers mainly) and other storage underneath, then any debris that accumulates in the holes will have to be vacuumed on a regular basis. Now leaning back towards T-Tracks. Thoughts?
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

I am wrapping up the plans for a similar table for my Sawstop. I decided to leverage the Paulk design for my table top with MFT holes so I can have a good flat torsion box, and clean it out with the holes around the perimeter. There is an added benefit that the cabinets underneath will be protected from debris.

If you aren't familiar with Paulk's designs, you can see a video at: https://youtu.be/sJoGTf6KL8s

Tim: thoughts ... your overthinking it! If you've got any dust collection at the saw ... you'll hardly ever see any dust on the outfeed table. Leave about a 3" gap between the outfeed and the saw to test it.

If I was doing this again, I would design the top of the outfeed table to be a Paulk design with an internal structure about 4" tall.

I wanted and moveable and height adjustable outfeed table for my Sawstop. The top is a torsion box design, this is what I would do differently, and may still do that sometime in the near future.

I placed the cabinet on casters, so I can use it for outfeed support, with the saw, or infeed support for my router in the other end of my Sawstop setup.

The outfield table gives me about 50" of support on the back side of the blade and it I rotate the outfeed table 90 degrees, I can rip 10-14ft and still have good support.

The top just sits on the cabinet, using adjustable feet, but I do have a couple of anchor brackets that stabilizes it to my saw in the position where it resides 99.9% of the time, also with 20mm bench dog holes this time.

I gave the top a 4" overhang so I can clamp stuff to the top.

I also don't like dead wasted space, so I put in some storage containers.

The core of my torsion box. The four solid pieces are support for the adjustable feet, which I can adjust with a screwdriver through the top of the table

The thumbscrews that clamp the outfeed table to my saw fence.

Sorry if this is a re-post.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I'm an inganeer, I do that a lot. That being said, how much space under the top would I need for the benchdogs etc
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Yeah I'm an inganeer, I do that a lot. That being said, how much space under the top would I need for the benchdogs etc
    To be able to use the Festool type clamps, that go through the holes and clamp to the underside of the top, around 3.5"- 4" as the height of the ribbing.

This will also allow you to clean out any debris that gets into the gap.

Take a look at the MicroJig Dovetail Clamp and their examples of easy to build tables.

Here's a drawing of the table I have designed. I've purchased the lumber and I start on the base this weekend!!

Outfeed Table.jpg

I like that design, Matt. Effective top, space for quick access to tools in use and easy to clean out under the grid. You could also incorporate some longer slots in place of some of the 20mm holes for easier clamping. They just need to coordinate with the internal frame structure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt,

Adding Kreg Klamp Track to one side and one end, would make it perfect (for me), and make it a great pocket screw assembly table also.

This is on my list, to replace my current one.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-13-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks Jim & Rick for the feedback good ideas! Time to get back into SketchUp and make some "tweaks"