Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing Square Rehab

Framing Square Rehab

Picked a Framing square last spring...one of the first yard/barn sales of the season....$1...
    Framing Square Rehab, before 2.JPGFraming Square Rehab, before 3.JPG
    White painted markings were a bit too yellow, and barely readable...gave one leg a quick rub with some 80 grit by hand...
    Framing Square Rehab, the before 1.jpg
    Hmmm, install the 80 grit into the palm sander, and work over all surfaces...
    Framing Square Rehab, still readable.JPG
    Getting there..change over to 220 grit, a fresh pad for each leg, and each face...
    Framing Square Rehab, final stage.JPG
    I also wiped things down each time...finally spreading a bead of 3in1 oil, and wiping down again..
    Framing Square Rehab, after the oil rub.JPG
    99% of all markings are readable....just have to re-learn what they all meant.....at one time, they said you could build an entire house, using just this square to lay everything out...
    Framing Square Rehab, all done.JPG
    a lost art, now?

Did not find any maker's name.....

Not completely lost. There are still a few of us old ones left that know how to read one. We used slide rules in college too.

I opened this expecting to see the squareness of one corrected with a center punch.

Good find. I can't resist them either! When they are that cheap. I have at least one that was hammered and filed and
    has hand stamped numbers. Wanted a take-down square for years ..... then found two ,in different places ,in a short
    time.

Haven't tested it to see IF it is indeed "square"...maybe tomorrow, eh. Spending some time learning all the markings.....been over 20 years since I needed to use one of these....

I never used the tables for rafter length. I have a pair of these square gauges, that I've used for 45 years, for both rafters, and stair stringers. I use a sharp no.4 pencil. The tables are great for valley rafters, and such though. I did a google search, to see what is available about framing square tables, and there is Plenty of information available online.

https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/111

Other than building steps for the from porch deck last year....been almost 20 yrs since I was using these squares for a living. Real fun was using it to form up a set of concrete stairs....since the risers also had to tilt forward just a bit...not too bad for just a couple steps....but when you have over 10' of rise....

Have worked as the "cut-man" quite a few times...when the other fellow was up on the rafters, calling down sizes he needed...spent over 6 years on the foundation crews....

Last jobsite work was back in FEB, 2003....stick built Doctor's Office building.

Ok, even of my history...I happen to have my Late Dad's framer square.....not the best of shape....kind of grungy, and bent...
    Dad's Square, rehab start.JPG
    had a couple waves going on...edges were turning...green? About those waves..we have ways..
    Dad's Square, flattening.JPG
    Then the usual 80 grit in the sander..
    Dad's Square, 80 grit start.JPG
    Then the next spot...
    Dad's Square, copper plated.JPG
    That is not rust..that be copper plate...thinking the nickel plating is long gone?
    I did find a logo..
    Dad's Square, Logo found.JPG

NICHOLLS
    MFG...CO.
    OTTUMWA, IA, USA
    414R
    RAFTER FRAMER
    Wheel logo says something about Union Made

Dad's Square, rehab done.JPG
    Didn't take all that long to clean up....metal now has a thin coat of oil on it...scales are very readable, BTW

Just not sure how to finish this thing up...may leave it bare...I did the usual check for squareness....still deadnuts...
    Now, off to research who made this square...

Steven,I've seen some in good shape that had only the copper plating. Judging by condition I dont thing they ever had
    another coating.

I remember Dad using his....yellowish white markings...rest looking like an old Penny. Trying to think of a way to "restore" that copper look...without painting it...

Steven , Splinters (guy who does that elaborate pierced stuff) uses" Rub and Buff" I know they have several "golds"
    and I think they have copper

I have and use one of these squares. It gets used for checking if corners are square ...

I also checked with a digital mitre square, and mine is spot-on 90.0 degrees.

The question is how does one get this level of accuracy? That is more important than simply shining it up. So, Steven, would would you suggest?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Have already checked both of the ones I just "shined up" ...both are dead on. Nothing quite as fancy...straight edged board ( mine was 24" x 24" x 3/4" thick) Make the 2 marks out across the board...both the 16" length and the 24" lengths...then the inside lengths....then flip the square over, and repeat....

All came out to the ends, no gaps...just a solid, straight line. Just the same way a Carpenter always checks his.

There IS a way to fine tune such squares as these....involves using a center punch. You might look that method up....so far, I haven't needed to use it.

Sometimes, at those yard sales, I might see a framing square.....IF there is a bunch of little divots from a center punch....I usually walk on past it....some lousy "carpenter" had kept dropping his square... and now is so far out of square, not worth the trouble to fix it.

Steven, I know how to do this with a centre punch - which is why my square is dead-on. This is your thread - show everyone here how to do this. It would be helpful to others here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well...first thing..I NEED to FIND a square that actually NEEDS it done to it...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Ok, even of my history...I happen to have my Late Dad's framer square.....not the best of shape....kind of grungy, and bent...

That is not rust..that be copper plate...thinking the nickel plating is long gone?
    I did find a logo..

NICHOLLS
    MFG...CO.
    OTTUMWA, IA, USA
    414R
    RAFTER FRAMER
    Wheel logo says something about Union Made

Steve, in Fred Hodgson's 1903 book on the steel square he refers to what we call a framing square a Nicholls square and they were available with an oxidized copper finish.

Nice piece of history Dad left you.

-Tom