Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Framing Square Rehab

My heaviest framing square is a Nichols I believe (not at home). That thing is a beast compared to the others I have. But mine has white paint on each of the graduations. Like a idiot I soaked about 3 inches on one end in vinegar to take off the rust. Which it did very well but also removed the white paint. I would like to find a way to derust and clean it up without losing the white graduations.

I was a good boy, today.....one yard sale had 3 framing squares as a "bundle".....passed on them because I have 5 in the shop. Didn't need any more...they also needed a rehab...pass.

I did however pick a Stanley No. 20 8" square. Wood handle will need refinished....instead of brass in the sides of the handle...they are steel, including the three pins. There is a brass wear strip, held to the handle with 3 small screws. Checked for square...was "off" about an 1/8"......hammer adjust until it was indeed square....90% of the markings on the blade are readable. price? $0.25....

Photos? Use your imagination.....I seem to be done with posting photos on this site....I don't have a Photo Studio to suit some on here.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I was a good boy, today.....one yard sale had 3 framing squares as a "bundle".....passed on them because I have 5 in the shop. Didn't need any more...they also needed a rehab...pass.

I did however pick a Stanley No. 20 8" square. Wood handle will need refinished....instead of brass in the sides of the handle...they are steel, including the three pins. There is a brass wear strip, held to the handle with 3 small screws. Checked for square...was "off" about an 1/8"......hammer adjust until it was indeed square....90% of the markings on the blade are readable. price? $0.25....

Photos? Use your imagination.....I seem to be done with posting photos on this site....I don't have a Photo Studio to suit some on here.
    Your text is a bit washed out. Next time you post try running it through the sharpen algorithm on Word Elements.

Can't see anything wrong on my end....might want to check yours?....

Just for giggles..
    August Rust Hunt, .JPG
    What I normally post as...
    480 x 472 pixel size...deal with it.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 08-14-2020 at 7:50 PM.

Stanley No. 20, 8" square. Needed adjusted for square ( been dropped a few times?) Hammer adjusted until it was indeed square.
    Still need to refinish the wood part, but..
    August Yard Sale 1, Stanley No. 20 square.JPG
    Instead of brass holder for the three pins, these are steel, as well as the 3 pins. A brass wear plate is held on to the wooden handle with 3 slotted steel screws, counter-sunk into the brass strip.

Logo side of the blade; readable numbers count towards the handle....non logo side, the count away from the handle.

That "chef's hat" screwdriver is by Goodell Pratt Co.
    August Runt Hunt, cute ones.JPG
    Not sure about the tiny one. The spanner screwdriver has MAC SABINA, O. Patented...may use it for those split nut saws I have.
    Last screwdriver seems to be your run-of-the-mill Stanley.
    August Yard Sale 1, clean up1.JPG
    These two, rust and tarnish have been cleaned up. Finally got the Yankee chuck to release the bit....spring seems a bit sluggish ( may have broke?) except for the last 2" of travel. Red Handle has two sizes of Phillips drivers...the 3 square drive bits seem to be too fat to use.
    August Yard Sale 2, Chisels.JPG
    These 3 showed up, today...counting a 1/2" Pony clamp...
    August Yard Sale 2, Pony Pipe Clamp.JPG
    Cost me $3 for the lot.....Chisel set (England) is missing the 12mm sized chisel.

have another D-8 to rehab.....a 10ppi Disston/HK Porter...
    August Yard Sale 2, medallion.JPG
    Price was right, at least..
    August Yard Sale 2, price tag.JPG
    Nothing cracked, nothing bent, no missing teeth....Handle even fits my hand....26" long..
    August Yard Sale 2, D-8, 10 ppi.JPG
    Not too bad of a morning?

Blog Entries
    Take a scrap of plywood, square it up, draw a line across it, flip the square over, and if the lines are on top of each other you are square.
    If not, make adjustments until it is square.

Stanley No. 20, 8" square. Needed adjusted for square ( been dropped a few times?) Hammer adjusted until it was indeed square.
    Still need to refinish the wood part, but..
    Instead of brass holder for the three pins, these are steel, as well as the 3 pins. A brass wear plate is held on to the wooden handle with 3 slotted steel screws, counter-sunk into the brass strip.

Logo side of the blade; readable numbers count towards the handle....non logo side, the count away from the handle.

That "chef's hat" screwdriver is by Goodell Pratt Co.
    August Runt Hunt, cute ones.JPG
    Not sure about the tiny one. The spanner screwdriver has MAC SABINA, O. Patented...may use it for those split nut saws I have.
    Last screwdriver seems to be your run-of-the-mill Stanley.
    August Yard Sale 1, clean up1.JPG
    These two, rust and tarnish have been cleaned up. Finally got the Yankee chuck to release the bit....spring seems a bit sluggish ( may have broke?) except for the last 2" of travel. Red Handle has two sizes of Phillips drivers...the 3 square drive bits seem to be too fat to use.
    August Yard Sale 2, Chisels.JPG
    These 3 showed up, today...counting a 1/2" Pony clamp...
    August Yard Sale 2, Pony Pipe Clamp.JPG
    Cost me $3 for the lot.....Chisel set (England) is missing the 12mm sized chisel.

have another D-8 to rehab.....a 10ppi Disston/HK Porter...
    August Yard Sale 2, medallion.JPG
    Price was right, at least..
    August Yard Sale 2, price tag.JPG
    Nothing cracked, nothing bent, no missing teeth....Handle even fits my hand....26" long..
    August Yard Sale 2, D-8, 10 ppi.JPG
    Not too bad of a morning?
    Steven
    They give stuff away where you live.. always posting some ridiculous cheap finds. Nice finds .

Not cheap..it is called..Frugal.

I haven't seen the taper of old squares mentioned. I think they feel less awkward in use. If there are any tapered
    squares still being made....I sure haven't seen them.

I was at Lee Valley a few years ago, and they had a large Chappell framing square hanging in their clearance bargain section. When I inquired about it, they said it was a return item due to being out of square. I think I paid about 40% of list price for it. A few punches with a drift brought it back into square. These are probably the finest squares made today.
    60N4824-chappell-square-large-f-33.jpg

Lets see..I now have 2 very good framing squares....another that I bought new last year. and two square shaped objects that may get tossed out.

Plus, I turned down a bundle of 3 framing squares over the past weekend...used the dollar bill on other objects....

These do come in handy in the shop....marking out on larger plywood panels to cut them down into smaller panels I can use.

Now? Happen to have a little bit smaller square to work on..
    Stanley No. 20, 8"....have already adjusted it back to square....needs the wood work cleaned up...

Well...first thing..I NEED to FIND a square that actually NEEDS it done to it...
    Grab an aluminum one (actually I prefer these for framing, they don't hold heat as long).. and drop it

Viola, framing square that needs to be squared
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut