Thread: Powermatic Yellow Paint color

Powermatic Yellow Paint color

Hi,

A friend of mine is hoping to repaint a yellow powermatic piece and called Powermatic and they couldnt or wouldnt give him paint or a paint color.
    Does anyone have a paint code or other information?
    thanks,
    Stevo

Blog Entries

If he still has a paint chip from the machine or able to take a part to a good paint store they may be able to match the color.

I recently started buying some premium cabinet paints from Sherwin Williams. These are only available from their industrial locations. Interestingly they never tint paint from a code on a paint chip. They said all tinting is custom matched and if you want to match a paint chip they custom tint to the chip. They told me that the tint dispensers are not accurate enough for consistent tinting. They essentially perfectly match. They best option would be to take a part to one of their locations and then you could buy the industrial coating material too which is way better than what you can buy in consumer outlets. That or an auto body paint store. They also custom tint to match a sample. I've rebuilt several machines and I have always used auto paint. For future machines I will use an industrial enamel custom tinted.

FYI you can tint your own paint. I used Ford dark gray from tractor supply which is a little too dark to match delta gray. I used tea spoons to mix and try different ratios until I got to about 3 to 1 gray and light blue.
    Once it dried and I liked the color I mixed a glass jar full using small dixie cups and painted using that color which is very close to the original delta gray from around 1950.
    Spoons from fast food places are cheap and do not have to be cleaned.
    I mixed one to one and painted a small patch with a q-tip and labeled it, then added one more spoon of gray and painted that with a q-tip etc, then add one more gray and one more etc. I had played online with a color mixer program so I had some idea what the final ratio would be. I used less then 10 tablespoons of paint to get the final formula.
    Bil lD

Folks,
    thanks for all the great suggestions. I will pass them on.

Stevo

If it is REALLY important to EXACTLY match a color, I'd suggest a 2 or 3 step process. (1) Bring a sample piece in to get color matched at your favorite paint mixing shop. (2) Take the sample can, paint it on something - - perhaps even the piece that you brought in for color matching. Let it dry (a hair dryer speeds things up). Then have them use their equipment to match to the NEW sample. If the "formula" for the newly painted piece comes out essentially identical to the original sample, then you are good to go. But, if the formula numbers don't match, there is a problem.

But if you are painting the entire piece of equipment, then a perfect match probably isn't all that important. All it need to be is pretty close.

Color matching gets more critical if you're only painting some components. If you're doing "everything", then getting close is a worthy goal. Aside from the color match thing...you're going to need to balance things around application and safety. While automotive type finishes, for example, can provide a stellar finish result, the requirements to apply them, including safety, may not be something that the "average Joe" is going to be able to accommodate in a residential shop setting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I repainted my powermatic planer blue - if he wants to do the whole thing no need to stick with the yellow.

/Powermatic 6612060 Spray Paint 12 Oz (Gold) Shape
    Powermatic has this on amazon