Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrading benchtop mortising machine BRANDS ???

upgrading benchtop mortising machine BRANDS ???

Got the old Delta Benchtop Mortising Machine when it first came out. I believe it was back in the late 1980's or early 1990's. It works ok, but looking for something a bit better. Things must have improved since the old Delta came on the market. What are some good benchtop Mortising machines being made now ?

I bought the Powermatic bench top one long ago, traded it in for the Domino XL and never looked back. The Powermatic is probably the nicest one you can get new but I had a hard time shimming the thing to get it to cut parallel to the workpiece and the mortises always seemed to need cleanup with a chisel afterwards. Many better alternatives to those things nowadays.

I just picked up the pm, would have never considered one and have only ever used large industrial ones but got it for $100 just needed some cleanup, took it apart and put back together - paired with Japanese Star M chisels and I am blown away, some day will get the Wadkin dm but for now this works. I have a Domino as well but Not a fan of floating m&t furniture joints and I can’t stand router mortises...

Regards, Mark
    https://www.instagram.com/kessler_woodworks/?hl=en

9E320F2C-863C-4831-9EB1-33B8791399D3.jpegD5D2D956-C7AC-4163-89F3-380D98792A50.jpgEB845C24-F538-40FF-B835-4AAB4E9960FE.jpg762B8D9F-A063-4B4F-AB4E-F856140A6B8F.jpg

For occasional use I like my CRaigslist Jet bench top. I’m sure there are better ones for people doing lots of mortises. Learning to sharpen the chisels is paramount IMO.

I think if I was going to upgrade I would want an X/Y table. Usually that's only available on floor model mortisers but I think Baileigh make a bench top version. Of course some floor model mortisers can be removed from the base and put on a bench. It comes down to how much do you want to spend vs how much you use one.

I do not believe that any of the available benchtop mortising machines are materially different than what you have now...that's a very general statement, however. Quality, properly sharpened and setup chisel/drill can make a huge difference with these tools. But it's also important to remember that all of the benchtop mortising machines have limits. A big of that is just plain about physical strength and stiffness. While I've heard good things about the PowerMatic over the years, the real upgrade for you, if you want to stick with a chisel mortising setup, is to step up to a floor model machine. Heavier. Stiffer. Etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think the significant upgrade to the machine you have now would be something like the General International 75-075. No longer available new as far as I know. It gives you the X-Y indexing table, which is a huge improvement as well as capability for larger chisels. It's probably almost as expensive as finding an old industrial horizontal mortiser. I love mine, it makes cranking out mortises pretty straightforward. The X-Y table makes all the difference in the world.

The other big upgrade, as others have mentioned is a set of diamond hones and some time learning to sharpen the chisels. Better quality chisels than the ones that came with the early imports also help, they are easier to get and keep sharp. Lapping the outside surfaces so they are mirror like and then using a cone to keep the points "wicked shaahp" as we say here will make your mortising experience much happier. Don't forget to hone the drill as well.

Clarence
    What is your current machine not doing, that you would like it to?
    There are some more robust benchtop mortisers, and some that have tilting heads, but they haven't really changed that much.
    If you're just looking for something new, Bailiegh and Rikon both have some nice machines. PM of course does also.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I just picked up the pm, would have never considered one and have only ever used large industrial ones but got it for $100 just needed some cleanup, took it apart and put back together - paired with Japanese Star M chisels and I am blown away, some day will get the Wadkin dm but for now this works. I have a Domino as well but Not a fan of floating m&t furniture joints and I can’t stand router mortises...

Regards, Mark
    https://www.instagram.com/kessler_woodworks/?hl=en

9E320F2C-863C-4831-9EB1-33B8791399D3.jpegD5D2D956-C7AC-4163-89F3-380D98792A50.jpgEB845C24-F538-40FF-B835-4AAB4E9960FE.jpg762B8D9F-A063-4B4F-AB4E-F856140A6B8F.jpg
    I have that machine. Works well.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

None. Get a floor model or go another route.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Clarence
    What is your current machine not doing, that you would like it to?
    There are some more robust benchtop mortisers, and some that have tilting heads, but they haven't really changed that much.
    If you're just looking for something new, Bailiegh and Rikon both have some nice machines. PM of course does also.
    Well, a few things that I don't like about it.

1. The machine, no matter how often I have the bit and mortise chisel sharpened, it makes a heck of a squealing sound when it cuts into the wood. Never heard that sound on the other brands of hollow chisel mortise machines.

2. The motor gets extremely hot after less than 30 minutes. Too hot to even touch !

It sounds like the bit and chisel aren't aligned and the bit is rubbing on the side of the chisel. Not sure if there's an adjustment for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post

1. The machine, no matter how often I have the bit and mortise chisel sharpened, it makes a heck of a squealing sound when it cuts into the wood. Never heard that sound on the other brands of hollow chisel mortise machines.

2. The motor gets extremely hot after less than 30 minutes. Too hot to even touch !
    Clarence
    I have the Delta 14-651 and the bits used to squeal like bad bearings also. I finally took a set of hones to them and really cleaned them up. I actually chucked them up in a regular drill press and held a Norton White Arkansas stone against the wholes side, but "honing" sounds better.
    They're not a very high quality chisel set, but at the time the only other options was Clico's and they were over a hundred bucks for the set, and had a completely different chisel angles.
    I know that if I were to upgrade it would be to the floor standing PM 719T.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

what chisels are you using? are the inside corners relieved a little, I think all the Japanese ones come that way. Also I believe the angle is different between the Japanese and non Japanese chisels. The outside surface should be polished and the inside should be clean as well, maybe the drill is extended too far down? Check the interface of the chisel bushing to machine, maybe alignment problem. Has it been this way always, does it happen on all chisel sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post

I have a Jet that works OK but lacks a clamp to hold the work down. Extracting the bit after the first cut was always an issue. I need to put it on Craigslist because I never use it after getting a domino. It talks up a lot less space and cuts any mortise I need (I have the bigger one). I used it this week to make some drawer joints in plywood drawers. I don't think a hollow chisel will do that, at least not readily. The XL plunges 2 3/4 inches and uses bits up to 14mm. For a wider mortise, just make multiple plunges. I cannot think of a mortise I'd rather do on a hollow chisel mortiser. I am not a Festool fan in general and I usually prefer traditional ways of doing things but sometimes the new ideas really are better.