Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vintage Cars

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    They say pictures speak louder than words
    Oh, I agree. But his engine is not one that you can buy in a car off the lot. This thing is naturally aspirated, but makes something over 500 HP.

I always thought you needed more octane or retard the timing at higher elevation to reduce pinging?
    My 1977 Datsun I would retard timing or turn on the water injection above 4,00 feet or so.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Years ago, you had a sequence to go through. Maybe it was one pump on the accelerator and half choke, then hit the start button. And if it didn't start, you might have to let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then go through the sequence again.
    That's *character*.

(You forgot to mention the brand logo hat.)

2004 Ram 1500 reg cab, 8' bed 4.7 v8, auto, a/c bought new by me. This truck ran great, never knocked on reg gas which is factory recommended. Pulled a 16' trailer ok in Ohio on the flats. Went down to Georgia with it on I-75 and would be climbing hills at 35mph at the top , semi's blowing past me on the way up. NEVER KNOCKED, would not downshift no matter what. Same deal when over in Penn. on the turnpike in some of those hills. Daughter had a 99 Dodge Dakota reg cab 6' bed V-6 5 spd manual which pulled the same trailer out of Florida thru Georgia. Trailer had 4' sides loaded for all we could get on moving her back to Ohio. 80 at bottom of hill 76 at top of hill no problem. SO WHAT was happening??
    At about 65k miles was advised to try midrange or high test in the 2004 Ram, that truck woke up and pulled that trailer up a hill like it wasn't there. Then got a new wife about 80k on the truck who needed wheels gave the truck to her and got me a 97 Nissan pickup. She started running only high test in the 2004 after she put about 20k on it I had a reason to drive it and it was screaming then, YES she does drive hard so the computer probably changed settings. To this day 190k that truck will get with it if she has been driving it much. It will always get high test as long as I own it, does only get about 3-4k a year on it now
    Ron

Here it is Jim. I've dropped a lot of money on it since, drivetrain is perfect, now for the coach. Has 54K on the clock.

DSCF3308.jpg

Blog Entries
    This thread came to mind when this was posted on a friend's FB page:

Clutch.png

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    That's *character*.

(You forgot to mention the brand logo hat.)
    I'm not sure if you mean it built character in the driver or if it meant the car had character. But on a cold morning when the car wouldn't start I wasn't very taken with the character of the car.

But I suppose it was better than my ancestors who had to manually crank the car. My dad taught me how to hold a crank so you didn't break your thumb if the crank got thrown back.

I'll pass on all of that character and take modern cars that crank off first time, hot weather, cold weather, every time. I look forward to my next car which will be an electric.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Never cranked a car but cranked a tractor a lot growing up
    Had a 72 Ply Duster with 225 Slant six bought new, you better have a fresh set of spark plugs put in every winter or it wouldn't start when it got cold
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I look forward to my next car which will be an electric.

Mike
    My next car was supposed to be a jetpack.

I'll settle for the self-cleaning "mobility appliance" that comes when I call for it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...ving-car-race/

Blog Entries
    Never had a vintage car. Not attracted to anything younger than me. Love drooling over the old rods though. Best I can claim is an '84 CJ7 my son and i have been working on since he was in high school 30 years ago. Dropped a LS in it 9 years ago. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/...-swap-1287392/
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries

I built a Factory Five Racing Cobra with my two boys. Has a 427SB with about 550 hp and 560ish torque. Weighs about 2300 lbs. love taking it for cruises in the beautiful Utah mountains. 7FD0D1E1-5CBD-4491-BB12-26F58F2D82D2.jpg

Just sold this after owning it 40 years. Right hand drive. Before restoration.
    54B82598-0DC6-48C0-A443-B5B3FB80D57C.jpg760790DB-3AB6-43C5-A6E5-010FA4305B6F.jpg
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    And here's my idea of an 'upgraded' vintage car (Model A per your link )
    ma-f.jpgma-r.jpg
    I could use this as a daily driver in a heartbeat. Right now the '13 Mustang is my DD, all I do with it is run shipping errands and go shopping, and the occasional 'just because' ride. This old A will hold a few groceries

My love of unique vehicles combined with my love of hot rods in general has me really liking this off the wall '51 Chevy gasser-
    51gasser2.jpggasser1.jpggasser2.jpg
    --it'll carry groceries, and easy to make those carb adjustments and spark plug changes!

I've been seriously considering buying this '39 Oldsmobile--
    39olds1.jpg39olds2.jpg39olds3.jpg
    -Very nice built mild rod, helluva sweet daily driver
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle