Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Cars

I was hoping to see a few pictures.....

Blog Entries
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    If your new car could talk, it might say, "I am driven by an old man." Perhaps it would call you classic.
    I'm sure it would. However, that Porsche might be thankful that it got a life extension instead of going to the junk yard in the sky.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-11-2020 at 2:49 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Who is that young guy in those pics Sometimes it's more about the journey than the destination.
    For me, it definitely was. My wife hated the car. It had a very tight suspension which made for great cornering but a rough ride. And no air conditioning.

I really wasn't interested in driving it.

About a year ago, I got a call from a guy who had bought the car. He had traced it back and found my web pages about restoring it. He wanted to tell me how much it was worth now. He said early model 911's were going for about $100,000. I sold it for a LOT less.

[Added note] I kept a record book on the car as I took it apart. For example, I measured every journal and the cylinders and recorded the measurements in the book. I gave the book to the people I sold it to and they passed it onto the present owner. It would be a good reference if the engine was ever disassembled again to see how much wear there was. I had a full set of metric tools and micrometers.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-11-2020 at 3:54 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For me, it definitely was. My wife hated the car. It had a very tight suspension which made for great cornering but rough ride. And no air conditioning.

I really wasn't interested in driving it.

Mike
    I friend of mine had a Porsche 931 (924 Turbo), and that is what I remember about it. It cornered like it was on rails, but you felt every single pebble, crack, and grain of sand on the road. It was rather tiring to be in for a long ride. I think it did have AC though

The other thing about that car was that it had too little horsepower at 700 rpm, and too much at 1500 rpm. The turbo had a habit of kicking in while in the middle of making left turns from stoplights, not good when the intersection was slick.

I am 48 years old and I really prefer modern cars. They start every time, stop better in the winter, and have air conditioning. My car is a 2016, but it has none of the new safety features. It just has ABS brakes and stability control.

I have a 1995 coach bus converted to a motorhome. I prefer the curved European look of my bus over the looks of the older buses. The only downside is the huge windshields are hard to replace and seem to crack easily.

Yeah, I used to have people say to me, "They don't build them like they used to, do they?"

And I used to reply, "No, thank God. They build them a lot better."

Mike

[Today, when you go to start your car, it starts. If it doesn't, there's something really wrong. Years ago, you had a sequence to go through. Maybe it was one pump on the accelerator and half choke, then hit the start button. And if it didn't start, you might have to let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then go through the sequence again. And there were problems you could count on. For example, most cars started using oil through the valve guides at about 50,000 miles. Today, people drive a car for 200,000 miles and never do a major repair to the engine. Cars have gotten a LOT better. And a LOT safer.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-11-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Ah yes, manual chokes, the ultimate in theft protection. 25 years ago, someone tried to steal a friend of mine's 1965 International 1 ton pickup. They got it about 50 yards down the road on the starter motor. From what he could tell, they never got it started; apparently they could not figure out the manual choke. Actually, he upgraded the theft protection after that. At some point the starter motor got iffy, so he always parked on a hill, so he could roll start it (with the manual choke).

Funny this subject just came up. I have been a car guy for all my life, and my wife and I were just talking about thinning the herd last night. I have spent the last few days taking care of problems with a couple of my cars, that got ignored because of working on the house, and I have to say I don't really enjoy working on them any more.

Right now, we have a '55 Thunderbird, '56 Ford Victoria, '30 Model A Tudor, '02 Corvette, and an '03 Mustang GT convertible. The old ones are all hot rods, and the newer ones are very low mileage. They are all toy cars.

The real cars in the family of three generations of adults who live here are our two Ford plug in hybrids, my F250, the wifes Toyota mini van, the daughters Honda CRV, and the grand daughters Honda Clarity plug in.

All these cars are garaged, except for my pickup, and I am getting tired of staying up with them. As mentioned, my wife and I (about to be 78 soon) are discussing unloading some, and just keeping a couple oldies. As someone mentioned already, some of them have shrunk over the years. I cannot get in the 'T-Bird with the top on, and it is a real hassle getting out of the Corvette now, and someone shrank the door on the Model A, to the point I can hardly get my foot in the door.

I have had cars like this for over 60 years, but we are probably going to shrink the fleet into something smaller, with the bells and whistles the new cars have. Under discussion...sell the Mustang, T-Bird, and Corvette, and get a two year old Mustang convertible (we have always had convertibles)(over 20). Then, sell the mini van and one plug in hybrid, and get a new plug in hybrid mini van.

That should last as long as we do, but damn, I will miss the love/hate relationship I have with old T-birds.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-12-2020 at 3:16 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Funny this subject just came up. I have been a car guy for all my life, and my wife and I were just talking about thinning the herd last night. I have spent the last few days taking care of problems with a couple of my cars, that got ignored because of working on the house, and I have to say I don't really enjoy working on them any more.

Right now, we have a '55 Thunderbird, '56 Ford Victoria, '30 Model A Tudor, '02 Corvette, and an '03 Mustang GT convertible. The old ones are all hot rods, and the newer ones are very low mileage. They are all toy cars.

The real cars in the family of three generations of adults who live here are our two Ford plug in hybrids, my F250, the wifes Toyota mini van, the daughters Honda CRV, and the grand daughters Honda Clarity plug in.

All these cars are garaged, except for my pickup, and I am getting tired of staying up with them. As mentioned, my wife and I (about to be 78 soon) are discussing unloading some, and just keeping a couple oldies. As someone mentioned already, some of them have shrunk over the years. I cannot get in the 'T-Bird with the top on, and it is a real hassle getting out of the Corvette now, and someone shrank the door on the Model A, to the point I can hardly get my foot in the door.

I have had cars like this for over 60 years, but we are probably going to shrink the fleet into something smaller, with the bells and whistles the new cars have. Under discussion...sell the Mustang, T-Bird, and Corvette, and get a two year old Mustang convertible (we have always had convertibles)(over 20). Then, sell the mini van and one plug in hybrid, and get a new plug in hybrid mini van.

That should last as long as we do, but damn, I will miss the love/hate relationship I have with old T-birds.
    Rent a Mustang Convertible and drive it at least 300 miles before buying one with the 4cyl engine. Rented one a couple of years ago and not at all happy with that motor. Do have a 2015 V6 Mustang (90k+ now) bought new for the wife, no comparison between motors. No experience with the V8 which along with the 4 cyl requires Premium fuel unlike the V6 which gets 29 mpg on regular fuel.
    Good luck
    Ron

Actually, you don't HAVE to put premium fuel in a V8 Mustang, or any newer car for that matter. Only necessary if it knocks on lower octane, and no one will ever know anyway because the engine management systems these days react so fast and work so well that adjusting for knock -among other things- goes on completely without notice. My wife's 40th and 60th birthday presents were Mustang GT converts-
    mustangs2.jpgmustang13.jpgmustang89.jpg
    2013 and 1989-- I've driven the '13 for 5 years now, only put 88 mid-grade in it once, and 91 once (91 is premium in these parts, elevation), they made no difference over the 85 regular I normally run in it. The thing is scary fast on any gas!

couple of 'youth' cars--
    '67 Coronet R/T, 440, auto- this'ns not mine but was identical to it, gold, black top-- I have no pics of mine
    67 RT.jpg
    this car was a dog off the line with the 2:73 gears, but throw it in first at 35 and not much ever beat it

'70 Coronet R/T (no, it's not a Super Bee ) - 440 six-pac, functioning hood scoops, 4-speed, 4:10 gears, and this is the only pic I have of it
    70 RT.jpg
    I really really really wish I still had this car...

More to add to this thread later, work beacons...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 08-12-2020 at 2:42 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Actually, you don't HAVE to put premium fuel in a V8 Mustang, or any newer car for that matter. Only necessary if it knocks on lower octane, and no one will ever know anyway because the engine management systems these days react so fast and work so well that adjusting for knock -among other things- goes on completely without notice. My wife's 40th and 60th birthday presents were Mustang GT converts-.
    The engine control systems on modern cars can adjust to use lower octane fuel without knocking but you will lose power.

Mike

Mike, I just have to say, in 1973 I had a 1968 Porsche 911-L, only about 400 imported that year, the only year imported. I loved that car and would trade my new car for it any day of the week. I sold when I was at the Monterey can Am races in the Porsche paddock and some guy from San Fransisco came up to me with an offer to buy I could not refuse. I looked online a couple years ago and saw where one like it sold for a hundred and twenty thousand. That car made me feel alive.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Actually, you don't HAVE to put premium fuel in a V8 Mustang, or any newer car for that matter. Only necessary if it knocks on lower octane, and no one will ever know anyway because the engine management systems these days react so fast and work so well that adjusting for knock -among other things- goes on completely without notice.
    My SIL has an '07 GT that he put a coyote engine in from Ford Racing. It specifically warns not to put less than 91 octane in it. But it's not exactly an average street engine.

They say pictures speak louder than words

Our 2013 Mustang owner's manual:
    2013 owners man.jpg

Page 158, fuel recommendations. Plain old 87 is recommended, higher for 'severe usage'. I find it funny that Ford states
    'do not be concerned if your engine knocks lightly'. Personally, I'D be concerned!
    Only 85 octane is not recommended, and this is a dinky 5 liter making 420hp.
    I use 85 but never at lower than 4400'. Have never heard any knocking... so I'm not concerned
    5.0 Coyote fuel.jpg

As to losing/gaining power using regular/premium, if your engine doesn't knock on regular,
    you'll likely LOSE power using premium.
    This screenshot from an AAA website, 'don't confuse gasoline octane and quality'...
    octane.jpg
    ========
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 08-12-2020 at 9:41 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle