Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Cars

Vintage Cars

The wife's 1956 Ford Thunderbird will be delivered next week from the body shop (since January 2019). When it arrives, the wife's 1965 Mustang heads down to be restored (going from blue to white). She won't restore her old 1991 Ford F150 though. She might look for a 1960's vintage Camaro soon. What is your flavor in vintange cars?

Undamaged Front Left.jpg MEG.jpg

I get tools and tractors; she gets cars

I'm partial to '71 Dodge pickups, '74 Valiants (actually all of the Dart based Mopars), mid '60s Binder pickups, and Scout IIs. And some of the weirdo AMC cars of the '70s. I tend to prefer to look at them from afar though; I don't really want the headache of owning one. Although I kind of would like to have a Scout II again. It at least has front disk brakes.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 08-10-2020 at 10:39 PM.

I restored a couple of early Porsche sport cars. I enjoyed working on them but when I finished what I discovered is that what I had was an old car.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-10-2020 at 11:03 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I restored a couple of early Porsche sport cars. I enjoyed working on them but when I finished what I discovered is that what I had was an old car.

Mike
    Yeah, I got most of my car restoration bug out of me about 25 years ago with my '78 Scout II Traveller. Not sure I want to go through that again. Woodworking doesn't involve crawling on the ground and on your back and getting full of oil and grease and getting rust and grit into your eyes. And you don't end up with a vehicle with no ABS, no air conditioning, no crumple zones, no shoulder and/or lap belts, no airbags, no collapsable steering wheel and potentially 4 way drum brakes with a single piston master cylinder.

I'm glad other people are into old cars though; they are cool too look at.

Blog Entries
    Old Volks Wagons were my joy. But after having to get under the dash would give me a back ache for a couple days the love was gone. They were fun when young, but they kind of make one feel like you are riding around in a rattling death trap.

1955 - 1957 Chevies are kind of nice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The last of the purely Swedish SAABs for me.
    It was the cheapest way to "row my own" gears.

My KIA Optima lease reveals how much things improved.

Mike
    If your new car could talk, it might say, "I am driven by an old man." Perhaps it would call you classic.

If I had the garage space, a '67-68 Camaro convertible would fit OK. But my dream car would be a '69 Buick Skylark convertible, burnt orange with a cream interior. I've only seen one, way back when, but the memory stayed with me. The cars of today just don't seem as exciting, just complicated.

There is no car sexier than a 1967 Buick Gran Sport.
    Sorry, nothing compares.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Don't have any now days, but my favorite was the 1969 Olds 442 Convertible with 4 speed manual transmission I had in high school.

YOu folks are WAAAAAY too young!
    1934 Ford pickup;
    1936 Ford 5 window Coupe;
    1937 Ford Coupe;
    1940 Ford 4 door sedan;
    1050 - 1954 Ford Coupe;
    1956 Ford DeLuxe 4 door sedan,
    but
    Since I prefer Hot Rods, I prefer a modern engine,
    I'm actually thinking of having a Ford Eco-Tec(sp?) engine in my 2004 Mazda B3000 pickup.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Mike
    Interesting read and a beautiful classic car. I would think that those working by a stripper tank now would be dressed in full PPE garb. Times and cars have sure changed.

Blog Entries

Mike
    Who is that young guy in those pics Sometimes it's more about the journey than the destination.

I would love my 1970 Datsun 240Z back