Thread: New at the farm

New at the farm

This peahen disappeared a few weeks ago and some detective work pinpointed her on a nest on the very edge of the property, not 3' from the county road! I piled brush up on all sides for additional camouflage and stretched a temporary fence on three sides including the the edge of the road. Right on schedule I found her leading these three around yesterday morning! She was very defensive at first but I was persistent - it took me an hour but I finally guided them into a chick-safe 10x10 covered cage.

peachicks_8_9_2020.jpg

The latest structure, new llama shelter! 4x4 posts set into concrete, metal roof. I covered the back and parts of the sides with leftover 8" lap siding from the house remodeling (manufactured wood product) to shelter a bit from driving rains and winter storms. Good summer shade too. They found it and put it to use right away. This will give them a second place to keep out of the elements when they choose. Life is excellent!

llama_shelter.jpg

Next up, what do do with this rogue male llama, 2-1/2 years old. He attacked two people on another farm, probably due to the "berserker syndrome", a generally unfixable and dangerous behavior problem traced to improper handling as a youngster. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserk_llama_syndrome) Unfortunately, these llamas usually have to be euthanized. We are cautiously giving him the benefit of the doubt and will first try to rehabilitate him in case he is not too far "gone". There is a slight chance his aggression is due instead to having been kept isolated from other animals in a small pen since he was weaned. It's been two weeks since his hormone levels were reduced by a certain surgery but so far he shows no decrease in aggression. (We cut out his fighting teeth too, a normal safety procedure - llamas grow sharp curved "fangs".) I'll give him another two weeks then try introducing him to two older males who will offer him a chance to change his behavior. If so, perhaps he can be placed as a guard llama. Otherwise, it may be llama burgers.

llama_rogue.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-10-2020 at 1:25 PM.

I always enjoy your farm stories John. Glad the chicks are safe. Hope you can save the llama. Like the new shed!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good luck with the llama! Nice of you to give him a shot. Thanks for the llama lesson, didn’t know that stuff!

Blog Entries
    There is always something to learn about the lifestyles of our friends an companions in the Animal Kingdom.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)