Hello everyone. I'm a relatively new turner and love the hobby. I'm new to this forum but have learned a lot already from reading other posts. I love how supportive the turning community is.

I posted a similar thread on the AAW forum but wanted input from you fine folks as well. Due to a generous order, I have the funds to completely upgrade my tools and equipment. For reference, I'm currently turning on an Excelsior Lathe and, as I've made mostly pens so far, only have Rockler's carbide pen turning tool set. I'm planning to upgrade my lathe, tools and invest in a sharpening system. I thought I'd throw out my plan and get your feedback.

Lathe: I'm about 90% sure I'm going to get the Laguna Revo 1216, thanks mostly to the advice of Mike Peace and a couple others. It's big enough to do what I want, fits my budget, and the outboard turning capability is unmatched in the class. Plus the availability of a 20" extension, it should meet all my needs for years. The others I've considered are the Jet 1221VS and the Rikon 70-220VSR.

Sharpening: Once again, I'm mostly settled on this. I plan on getting a complete Kodiak system from Ken at Woodturning Wonders. I like the ease of set up with his grinder base and that I get two CBN wheels along with all the jigs I'll need in one package.

Tools: Here's where I need the most input. After some advice from the AAW crowd, I'm thinking of getting a bowl gouge and spindle gouge from Doug Thompson. Then a couple more tools (skew, scrapers and roughing gouge) from Sorby or similar. I'd like to get away from pens for the most part and transition to bowls and boxes mostly with occasional spindle work. What other tools would you suggest? Any others that would be better to invest in high quality now?

Thanks in advance for your advice and I look forward to learning more from you all.