Thread: Acetone Dye Stains and Drying Time

Acetone Dye Stains and Drying Time

Hi Everyone,

I'm using a Mohawk Ultra brand dye stain thats acetone based and the drying time is extremely fast.
    I'm looking to wipe it on as I dont have the capability to spray it on and my concern is streaking and how to avoid this from happening.
    My first guess would be to extend the drying or open time of the product but I don't know how to do this with a acetone based product.

Can anyone share a technique that helps?

Thank You in advance

I would switch to an alcohol based dye. That dries plenty fast enough but you can slow the drying time by adding water to it. Or go to a water based dye and get even longer working time. If you want/need even more working time, and want to avoid grain raising issues, then use an oil based dye.

John

Thank You

Could you recommend an oil based dye? I really like the transparency of dyes so I would hate to compromise that

Your acetone-based dye may be compatible with isopropyl alcohol (if you have some) or water. You can try about 10% water to 90% dye in a clear jar, shake, and see if it separates. Then test. Look not only for longer open time, but spots and streaks caused by pigment that has fallen out of solution.

Beware water will raise your grain.

For dye (I'd never recommend this with a topcoat), you can also try filling your dye stain in $3 trigger spray bottle - ZEP makes some that are chemical resistant (check HD). This works better with shop towel quickly blend away spots. This does require a little practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gervasio View Post
    Thank You

Could you recommend an oil based dye? I really like the transparency of dyes so I would hate to compromise that
    There are other sources for WD Lockwood dyes; I just picked this one:

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/CLW

John

Thank You,

Prashum,
    ZEP is an interesting approach. You mention 'Check HD' what does that stand for? also, is denatured alcohol the same? (That I have)
    apologies for the ametuer questions but im just that

John,
    Thanks for the link

Thank again

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gervasio View Post
    ... You mention 'Check HD' what does that stand for?...
    HD = Home Depot, ubiquitous Big Orange Box Store in US.

(You may want to add a general location, in your profile, so answers can be tailored more specifically.)

Sorry, David's right; I assumed you were US based. My bad. Any spray bottle that is chemically resistant should work. Denatured alcohol is usually ethanol. Isopropyl alcohol has slower evaporation. We also have available rubbing alcohol - which is 70% isopropyl alcohol and water. This is not to say ANY will work. However, there is a chance that an acetone-based dye MAY be compatible with one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Sorry, David's right; I assumed you were US based. My bad. Any spray bottle that is chemically resistant should work. Denatured alcohol is usually ethanol. Isopropyl alcohol has slower evaporation. We also have available rubbing alcohol - which is 70% isopropyl alcohol and water. This is not to say ANY will work. However, there is a chance that an acetone-based dye MAY be compatible with one of these.
    Does denatured alcohol still have a significant % of methanol in it? Would that affect Joe's intended use?

there are many possible denaturants that may be used in DNA. I wouldn't personally use anything with methanol in it - for safety reasons.