Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Method for Cutting Mortises Wider than the Chisel

Preferred Method for Cutting Mortises Wider than the Chisel

The title says it all. What is your preferred method for cutting a mortise that is wider than the chisel (no longer but wider.) Example: Cut a 3/4" wide X 3" long mortise with a 1/2" chisel

Thanks, Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    The title says it all. What is your preferred method for cutting a mortise that is wider than the chisel (no longer but wider.) Example: Cut a 3/4" wide X 3" long mortise with a 1/2" chisel

Thanks, Curt
    From what I’ve read in multiple sources, it’s best to avoid that situation and go with either smaller mortise or a double mortise. Best would be to have a 3/4” chisel. But I haven’t come against this. If I did, I’d probably start on one side with your preferred mortise technique and then use the same chisel to take off the remainder.

Thanks, Curt

Curt,

A couple of options, both work and I expect there are others. One is to drill and then pare, it is not my favorite but it can work well. Another is to use a chisel that is smaller than half the size of the mortise. Make twin mortises then chop the middle. Which one I use depends on how large I can make the twin mortises.

BTW, sometimes it is best to just make twin mortises if there is room.

ken

1/4" down both sides and then whack out the middle. Been there, done that.

What Ken and Chris said. Two 1/4” mortises and an easy clean up in the middle. Driving a 3/4” chisel thru some woods will give you a beating as much as you are giving it.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Curt
    My preferred method is to use a bigger chisel.

Gonna Need a Bigger Chisel.jpg

This 3/4" chisel was marked USN on the top and Winstead Edge Tool Co on the underside. It cost $3 plus tax at a second hand store.
    The 1/2" lock mortise chisel on the bench cost close to $70, with shipping from Great Briton, on ebay. Lock mortise or swan neck chisels are rarely seen in the wild.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-10-2020 at 9:29 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would bore them out then pare to my layout lines. It's quick and accurate.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Thank you gentlemen! Sonce I have 16 more of these suckers to do, I have chosen to drill and pare.

Good call.
    It will work, and you'll finish.

FYI - you can chop mortices with regular bevel chisels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Good call.
    It will work, and you'll finish.

FYI - you can chop mortices with regular bevel chisels.
    Or firmer chisels, Narex makes some firmer chisels that work well for larger mortises

ken

5/16" mortise..vs. 1/4" chisel..= "hopscotch"
    first cut to the left(or right) side, move a little bit, next chop to the other side....repeat until the other end has been reached. Clean out the chips, and repeat again, until the depth is reached. I then pare the sides with a wide chisel...1" or wider.

Then, onto the next mortise....without having to leave the bench.

Not a problem once you have used a chisel enough to easily do accurate work with it. I have done 4",and even 6" wide mortises many times with a 1" or 3/4" chisel. PRACTICE !!!!!

You can find yourself doing very wide mortises even on tavern size tables if you use the correct haunched mortise and tenon joints.

Blog Entries
    Or you could drill a hole and use dowel pins glued into the holes.

As George says, this is easy to do with a bit of experience. This project will get you there, however you should have more chisels. I'd drill first then then use 3/4" and 2"chisels. Might grab a 5/8" to rough it out.

No one ever told me you were supposed to cut them all in one go, so I've just chopped them out alternating sides with a narrower chisel. A couple of time when I've tried doing a mortise the exact width of the chisel I've sometimes managed to wedge it pretty good. Having a little clearance actually seemed useful. Why does what I've been doing not work?