Thread: Dust collector noise level with and without filter?

Dust collector noise level with and without filter?

I followed a suggestion made earlier by some to remove the air filter on my Oneida dust collector since it is installed outside. I can't tell if performance increased but the noise is definitely louder. It was bothersome at least to me from a distance of about 100 yds. My closest neighbor is probably another couple hundred yards away, which has me concerned. I don't want to be a nuisance. I'm wondering if there's some way to reduce the noise without the filter? As for any performance reduction I wasn't dissatisfied with the filter installed so that isn't as much of an issue as the noise is now.

If you just have it mounted outside naked to the elements, you could enclose it with some plywood or whatever aesthetically matches your building, so the noise doesn't go straight out into the world unrestrained. Basically a closet like you would use inside your shop, but outside. You'll need to have an opening or two to let the exhaust out, and you also will need a door or one of the sides hinged to allow access to empty the bin and for maintenance.

You could also add some add some noise absorbing material to the inside of the enclosure. I have acoustic ceiling tile on the walls, sides, and ceiling of my inside closet for my 3 HP Oneida, and it between the closet and the tile, it gets rid of a remarkable amount of the noise.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 08-09-2020 at 1:46 PM.

Hi, yes, put an elbow and a silencer on it, aim the exhaust at the ground........Rod.

DIrect sound transmission is going to be a factor...as Rod mentioned, you need to "redirect" that sound transmission using a little duct so it's pointing downward rather than "out". That should help.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is the setup that produced the noise I was talking about. The outlet came straight out.

Dust Collector 002.jpg

And here it is with the downturn fitting installed that normally goes to the filter. I think the cage surrounded by foam rubber is somewhat of a baffle. Regardless, this configuration made a HUGE difference in the outward noise, enough so that it will probably not be a problem with my neighbors. I still plan to contact Oneida to see if there's a baffle that would help further. Thanks Rod and Jim for the advice.

Dust Collector 003.jpg

Good solution to redirect the sound ... and uses what you already had.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

An inside corner of a room (ceiling and two walls or floor and two walls) makes a fairly efficient "horn" for amplifying the sound level, especially when the DC outlet is more or less inline with the middle of the "horn".

Angling the exit downward helps defeat the horn, as well as the little bit of muffling around the add-on exit.

-- Andy - Arlington TX