Thread: Dust collection at drill press?

Dust collection at drill press?

I installed a 4" dust collection drop near my drill press. I'm at a loss as to what will be an effective use for it. There's usually not much debris to collect so I was thinking of just reducing the size for a small hose and use it like a vacuum cleaner. I've seen videos where a shroud placed around the spindle is used but that seems cumbersome. What do you use around the drill press?
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 08-09-2020 at 11:14 AM.

I recently purchased this fence from Woodcraft for its dust collection. Needed a new fence anyway for a new DP and table. So I figured it was easier to buy the fence vs build. Have not made connections yet to try it out. I figure I'll have to support the flex hose in some fashion to keep its weight from pulling on the fence.

I should add that I'm not expecting 100% capture of all cuttings by the fence. But if it captures say 75% and gives me a place I can easily sweep cuttings to clear for the next operation, then that's a win in my book.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 08-09-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Steve ,I did the same thing as you. Installed a four inch drop ,then had to find something to work. I found a semi-rigid expanding hose at Lee Valley that works real good for me. It holds position well enough and is completely adjustable. It pulls out and stays until you shove it back.

I use a shop vac hose for dust collection on my drill press. I have a small bungee cord that holds the hose near the drilling operation. It works great. I intend to purchase some 2 1/2 inch Loc-Line hose which allows you to adjust the hose location (and fix it) in the best place for the drilling operation. Dust collection on a drill press will never be perfect, but the shop vac hose works very well.

Blog Entries
    I found the velocity of a shop vac worked better for me but, either way. My DP stood in the middle of the room so I mounted the gate to the table after a fashion.

DP-DC (1).jpg

The "stay put" hose can be positioned close to the bit for when the fence port i blocked . . .
    DP-DC (2).jpg

Or at the fence port for flatter drilling.

DP-Cab (32).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn -- I like your drill press cabinet. I need to make something similar for mine.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I recently added dust collection to my drill press. I used the Loc-Line 80813 Shop Vacuum Kit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYEMPY1..._q6emFb1YBGC5V

I connected it to 2 1/2" hose than to my 5" dust collection system. I wasn't sure how well it was going to work, but the first time I used it for drilling a lot of holes, it worked quite well.

IMG_8390.jpg IMG_8393.jpg IMG_8391.jpg

Very nice cabinet for the drill press, maybe that would help me keep mine cleaner around the base.
    Ron