Thread: Wooden Sink Grid?

Wooden Sink Grid?

I need two sink grids and don't like the options I see available. Anyone ever done or seen one made of wood?

I made one, something like 40 years ago. I used teak, because I knew it would stand up to water exposure. The grid lasted a couple of weeks. I learned the hard way that teak not only rejects water, it also rejects glue.

Now, somewhat wiser, I might try teak again, but with stainless steel screws at every crossing point in the grid. The screw heads would be on the bottom. Might stay together...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I learned the hard way that teak not only rejects water, it also rejects glue.
    This made me spit coffee all over my lap.

I was thinking teak and I've got a boatload, literally, we cleaned out an old yacht builder, of brass hardware looking for a purpose.

The ones I have seen are made from one piece no glue or screws.
    Bil lD

Teak can and will hold up in water. Ski boat swim platforms have been made with it (without glue ) for half a century.

Design a joint that will stay togeTher without glue or hide the fasteners like Jamie suggests.

Reason you don’t see m(any) is because they’re not commercially viable. Cost is one plus the maintenance that no one wants to do equals low sales. Which means capital is better allocated towards another widget tHat will sell.

I’ve made a teak grid thing for a shower many years ago, all tight fitting lap joints glued with West System 655 epoxy. I understand it’s still going strong though it’s a pain to get soap residue off of.

Dip all of the parts in acetone prior to gluing and hit the joints with a hair dryer prior to bonding. 655 seems to work best with extremely dry surfaces. I’ve heard WeldWood 2 part Resorcinol works ok too.