Thread: Bug ID

Bug ID

Can anyone identify this beetle? They've eaten their way through a bunch of pecan turning blanks that are now destined for firewood....

IMG_6115.jpg

Thanks and happy Saturday! Jeff

Looks like a young hickory banded beetle.
    In my area we have shot hole borers I curse all bugs that eat the wood we save.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Seems like we're getting a new invasive bug every year that threatens our hardwoods. I just read last week that the spotted lantern fly is coming into Ohio from PA. It eats everything, crops and trees. The Asian longhorn beetle is setting up shop down around Cincinnati. It apparently kills all the rest of the trees in the forrest after the Emerald Ash borer and the Walnut Twig Beetle have taken out the Ash and Walnut. I wonder if there will be anything left standing 20 years from now. Think maybe I should start hoarding lumber, well, more than I already do..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

With all these bugs destroying out hardwoods (and softwoods for that matter) I wonder what if anything is being done about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    With all these bugs destroying out hardwoods (and softwoods for that matter) I wonder what if anything is being done about it?
    What do you propose?

------

Brian, we're heavy with Spotted Lantern Fly here and I worry about our black walnuts because they happen to like them, too, in addition to the fruit trees and others that they favor. I've already lost all of our ash trees to the borer. Fortunately, other species like Tulip Poplar and cherry are filling in a little.

Jeff, I'm not sure what that is, honestly. Like I mentioned on IG, if this is in the turning stock, it's probably more usable material than for flat work. Do keep it separated from your shop, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I would start by contacting your county agent. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What do you propose?
    An interesting question...

Not sure what to do for current infestations. Just hope I guess the smart people in the lab coats figure something out. Seems like this would be worth a few billion in the federal budget to push research along.

I heard that that EAB came in on pallets of auto parts. Don't know how the others have come in. I'm pretty sure there are import regulations about using treated / heated wood in pallets but with the state of relations these days with foreign countries I doubt that is being enforced. One thought I had, not sure how practical it is, is to use steel pallets. They would be highly reusable, easily recyclable if damaged. Yea it might cost a few more bucks per skid, but worth it IMHO.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher