Thread: Woodmaster Reversing Drum sander kit

Woodmaster Reversing Drum sander kit

I have an older Woodmaster drum sander that I would like to add the reversing switch to. I've sent an email to Woodmaster and I'm waiting for a reply. But maybe someone here can help. On my sander the feed and drum motors are powered separately (120v for the feed and 240v for the drum) but the current model says it's a 90v DC motor so it's not the same. I didn't see if the new ones have just one power cord or two like mine. Does anyone have the directions that came with the switch? A DC motor is very easy to switch directions where as only select AC motors are built with that possibility. Given that the motor can run from basically 0 to 20 fps mine could also be a DC motor, I just haven't found the nameplate on it.

It is just a switch which reverses polarity I believe. Do you have a dial for speed control?

MK

Send me your email address via PM and I'll email you a pdf of the manual. It includes info on the feed drive motor.

It does have the dial control for the speed. All the way counter clockwise it'll click and shut off the motor. As you turn it clockwise the speed picks up. I have not taken the speed controller apart to see if there's a bridge rectifier circuit inside it to convert the Ac to DC. Woodmaster's kit is pretty basic, the switch, a few electrical connectors and wire, and some bolts to mount it. If the drive motor is a DC motor on mine then I can easily make my own reversing switch and wire it up.

Mine is also powered by separate AC lines. I got tired of having to plug in both and added a breaker box to the side of the sander so the main 240v connection powers both safely.
    IMG_4137.jpg

Here are a couple pics of my feed motor with the nameplate. I opted for a larger feed motor when I ordered it. I hope it helps. Let me know if you want the manual.
    IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4136.jpg

You sure you don't have a transformer on your feed motor to convert to DC? Hard to have a variable speed AC motor unless it is a universal motor like a router.

I haven't seen a transformer. If you look at the first picture Roger posted on the bottom right is a silver box with a knob on the front. The power goes directly into it so I'm assuming that's where the AC is turned into DC. Since the motor listed on the sales brochure for the new model says it's 90v DC I assume that there's very little stepping down of the voltage that's needed. Most likely there's just a large potentiometer inside there that limits the maximum voltage to 90 for full speed. I'll take it apart tonight or tomorrow.

OK so what is the advantage or reason for reversing the feed belt motor?
    I have a WoodMaster 12" planer with sanding drum accessory bought new in 1986 with variable speed feed
    Ron

The reversing switch goes between the speed controller and the feed motor. Should be two wires in, two wires out.

Use a multimeter to confirm supply from speed controller is dc. I am guessing it is.

MK

I took the controller cover off and confirmed it is a DC motor. The voltage range is 0v to about 90v. I was at work earlier so I couldn't do it until tonight. I can reverse direction by simply reversing the two wires going to the motor. After looking at the manual for the newer sanders they are chain drive while mine is belt driven. Mine has an idler pulley on a spring which I can easily reverse by swapping the idler bracket to push on the other side of the belt but being able to make it reversible would require it to be converted to chain drive.

I bought the sander cheap because of a flaw in it's design. It's a pre conveyor belt model with 2 drive rollers on each side of the sanding drum. The sanding drum throws sawdust onto the first outfeed roller. The dust collection (which I modified and made a lot better) doesn't collect all the dust so it packs onto the drive roller and then the second outfeed roller gets packed with dust. The feed rollers are wrapped in sandpaper. When they get packed the wood being sanded will slip. What if the sawdust coming off the sanding drum was throwing it at the infeed roller closest to the sanding drum. It might get sawdust packed on it but instead of falling off and getting packed on the second roller by going in reverse it would just go towards the sanding drum. The previous owner didn't seam mechanically inclined and decided to replace it. I may do the same but my plans for the sander are for sanding glued wedges to make rings for segmented bowls. For the limited amount of use I can just clean the sawdust off of the drive rollers. But if I can reduce this problem I'm sure I can find more uses for the sander. Plus I like a challenge.

The sanding drum can't be reversed because the design of the dust collector is set up to be a long narrow slot as close to where the dust comes out. Reversing the sanding drum would mean redesigning the dust collection. While working on the dust collection I remembered seeing the reversing switch and came up with the idea of seeing if it was possible to install it and just feed the wood in from the rear. So I have it set up so I can test it to see if it helps. If it does work I can always buy some sprockets and chain and convert it. If it doesn't work then I can just swap it back and I'm out no money.

The other thing that came out of this is that there's lots of places that need to be cleaned and lubricated. The sanding drum has pillow block bearings with grease fittings that have never been greased because they are impossible to see without pulling the side covers to change the belts. They aren't designed to be easily removed. There's also the jack screws to raise and lower the table that could use a good cleaning. Finally with the side cover off I can hear a slight noise inside the gearbox so I'm thinking of removing the motor/ gear box and cleaning them up and regreasing it.