Thread: PVC Sheets

PVC Sheets

Has anyone used PVC sheets with their CNC and do you have any advice on what not to do or how to best cut it?

Just wondering,
    Zelma
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

O flute or 2-flute up cut bit. Personally, I prefer deeper, slower passes to lighter, faster passes. RPMs should be relatively low at about 12000rpm.

Otherwise, it cuts really easily. If it turns to dust, you're going too slowly. It should form decent chips.

I also often use smaller cutters. If you do a final pass of about 1/4" of material, you'll pack the kerf and it will keep the material in place without needing tabs or only needing a few tabs.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

PVC is a common material cut on CNC machines, especially in the sign industry. I agree with Ross's recommendations for tooling, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    O flute or 2-flute up cut bit. Personally, I prefer deeper, slower passes to lighter, faster passes. RPMs should be relatively low at about 12000rpm.

Otherwise, it cuts really easily. If it turns to dust, you're going too slowly. It should form decent chips.

I also often use smaller cutters. If you do a final pass of about 1/4" of material, you'll pack the kerf and it will keep the material in place without needing tabs or only needing a few tabs.
    Ross,
    Thanks for your insight! I have not cut any yet, but I will make a note of your advise for future work.
    David

Cuts like butter.
    Stinks.
    Poisonous if burned.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

James, I use a lot of PVC sheet material both 1/2" and 1/4" thick. I am not as big a fan of PVC as I am of Corian but it is less expensive and has some great qualities. Easy to machine, easy to laminate, easy to paint, etc. If your making a sign that requires a white background you can put vinyl on the surface and then paint. The vinyl cutting material sticks great is very robust and the result is a perfectly crisp machined area. Routed edges must be painted, the PVC machined edges tend to get dirty so they need a coating.

Go to the dollar store, or anywhere, and buy spray static guard. Light spray on the sheet, turn on DC and mist a bit up inside. Tooling isnt really an issue. You can make do with anything.

Hey, I just found these replies, for some reason I didn’t get the notifications, oh well.

Thanks for the replies and advise, I am still sitting on these, I have a sheet of this to try, just not sure what I want to try with it and it has been over a month.
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

I haven't even found a local place that sells pvc sheet material. I would like to try some but I can't find it locally. Everyone I've seen post about it says to use an O-flute and keep the RPMs in the 10K-12K range on the router.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Home Depot has it here, Dennis...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Was going to say the same as Jim, HD I believe is Royal nationally but maybe not. Id imagine if your local branch doesnt have it on hand they can transfer it in. Last I checked it was actually competitive or a bit less than we could bring it in for. I think it was just a bit over/under $100 a sheet.

Thank you to everyone that responded. Our Home Depot or Lowes does not carry sheets but I found a place about an hour away that we can order from. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions.

Thanks Again,
    Zelma