Thread: Tried installing the Oneway Wolverine jig today: What am I doing wrong??

Tried installing the Oneway Wolverine jig today: What am I doing wrong??

Ok, Unboxed the jig and all the accessories , read the manual, watched the video. Ran into some problems !!!!

1. I checked the height without installing the board to rest on. It's a 6 inch bench grinder. Met the required center height without the addition of the board to sit it on .

2. Installed the long jig attachment. that works fine.

3. Ran into problems with the short right side attachment. When I pull the flat platform all the way out , and reinstall it; the red handle often will just either spin or it won't let the platform slide all the way in. Have to take a flat screwdriver to push that inside part up to let the tool rest slide all the way in.

3. Those thin guards.... They bend REALLY EASY!!! Are they necessary????

4. The Vary Jig: Didn't realize that it won't fit a Sorby or Buck Bros. Gouge. Can that thing be widened , instead of having to buy a bigger Vari Grind ???

There is a set screw that holds the eccentric cam to the rod. At least there used to be, my systems are really old. What gouges are you talking about when you say Sorby and Buck Bros? If you are talking about a spindle roughing gouge, you don't use the vari-grind for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    There is a set screw that holds the eccentric cam to the rod. At least there used to be, my systems are really old. What gouges are you talking about when you say Sorby and Buck Bros? If you are talking about a spindle roughing gouge, you don't use the vari-grind for that.

I thought the Vari grind was for both Spindle and bowl gouges....

The video below may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe2KLa546Pk

If the jig is faulty I would request a replacement from Wolverine and not attempt to repair it yourself as this may invalidate any guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    I thought the Vari grind was for both Spindle and bowl gouges....
    The Vari Gring can be used for both bowl and spindle gouges. However, the spindle roughing gouge is a different animal than your fingernail (or swept back) ground spindle gouges. You could use just the v-arm to sharpen the spindle roughing gouge, or like i do use the platform. Here's a pic if a spindle roughing gouge and a fingernail ground spindle gouge for comparison.

IMG_0408.jpg

Putting the base of the spindle roughing gouge in the V notch seems pretty dangerous to me. I just use the adjustable platform and free hand it. Also, the Wolverine jig works best with an 8" grinder. The Vari-jig is meant for spindle and bowl gouges. I can use the Vari-grind jig with my 5/8" bowl gouges. That's as large as I've got. I had a problem with my tension handles working loose and letting the inserted attachment move. I wrapped a bungee cord around the handle and hooked it to the rear of the Wolverine jig. That keeps the handle nice and tight against the inserted attachment.

Do I need to use those thin metal guards that came with the Oneway Wolverine ? They are really too thin and bend too easily.

What thin metal guards are you referring too? I don't recall mine coming with anything thin and bendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Do I need to use those thin metal guards that came with the Oneway Wolverine ? They are really too thin and bend too easily.
    Robert asked the question I had? To what do you refer? I bought three Wolverine systems and three Varigrind jigs. The only thin metal is a thin strip of spring steel on one version of the varigrind jig and is made to bend. Everything else is thick and sturdy steel.

Perhaps you could post a photo showing these thin pieces or a link to an ad where you bought the Wolverine which shows these guards. This is a mystery.

BTW, my recommendation is to NOT purchase a Varigrind 2 - stick with the original Varigrind jig.

JKJ

The gray metal part I mentioned, is at the 11 Second mark in the video. I took those guards off, and reinstalled the part that originally came with the Grinder. I took apart the red lever , and moved it closer to the front of the Grinder. Once I did that and reinstalled everything; now the Oneway Wolverine system works perfect !!

I see what you're talking about now. That is some kind of spark arrester that probably came with the grinder. Take them off because they will be in the way of the Vari-grind attachment.