Thread: Oneida Dust Collector install

Blog Entries

Oneida Dust Collector install

I just ran across this video by Blacktail Studio, installing a 5 hp Oneida Dust Collector. Apparently a lot of you may have seen this, nearly 50k views since it was posted yesterday. He got it for free from Oneida in exchange for a thorough video and review. A lot of money to be made on YouTube if you have the skills and personality. Nice video, looking forward to his duct work video. How have I never heard of this guy? He has 7 times the number of subscribers that Mark of the Wood Whisperer has. He now has one more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEt9IyDgmJ4
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-07-2020 at 7:47 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

I do not think that it is a good example of how to install the dust collector. The way he put the motor and impeller on was dangerous and risked damage both to himself and the equipment. He knew it was not good but did it anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I do not think that it is a good example of how to install the dust collector. The way he put the motor and impeller on was dangerous and risked damage both to himself and the equipment. He knew it was not good but did it anyway.
    I agree, but that was pretty obvious and he admitted it.
    NOW you tell me...

I installed one of those and it wasn’t easy. To install the motor I had a helper and two ladders to get it on top. And the one I installed we used the wall mount option. I like my Clearvue though and it was a lot cheaper.

Never heard of the guy before by the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Never heard of the guy before by the way.
    Well, somebody has, his woodworking channel has 305,000 subscribers and his video of making a charred wood epoxy table has 8.4 million views in just 2 months. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fsrLOgl69U
    NOW you tell me...

What bothered me was that he admitted it was a bad idea and just continued to do it. When you know that what you are doing is dangerous, it is time to stop and figure out a better way.

What bothered me was that he admitted it was a bad idea and just continued to do it. When you know that what you are doing is dangerous, it is time to stop and figure out a better way.
    I think his comments, in the video, are for his reflecting back on the process while editing the video.

It was still scary....

Blog Entries
    Not that it's important but, I just happened to notice while watching . . .

junk-2.JPGjunk-1.JPG

I say kudos to any who can earn a buck or two off their efforts. I do take issue with folks who demonstrate careless or hazardous practices and tend to drop an emotionless, factual comment. Many authors, including major players respond politely thanking me for pointing something out. I'm not patting myself on the back. I think it is our responsibility to give constructive comments (if asked for) when safety is in play. If those who posted unsafe practices were banned we wouldn't have any Fine Woodworking, Woodsmith or other major name videos either .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-08-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Why didn't he rig a rope and pulley from the ceiling? That is how I did mine. is it strong enough to assemble on the ground and tip it upright?
    Bil lD

Why Oneida would pay this guy or give him product in exchange for making this video is beyond me.

I assembled mine on the ground and tipped it up with a rope and pulley.

I assembled mine on the ground and tipped it up with a rope and pulley.
    Likewise for me, except I used a chain hoist for the lifting.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Not that it's important but, I just happened to notice while watching . . .

junk-2.JPGjunk-1.JPG

I say kudos to any who can earn a buck or two off their efforts. I do take issue with folks who demonstrate careless or hazardous practices and tend to drop an emotionless, factual comment. Many authors, including major players respond politely thanking me for pointing something out. I'm not patting myself on the back. I think it is our responsibility to give constructive comments (if asked for) when safety is in play. If those who posted unsafe practices were banned we wouldn't have any Fine Woodworking, Woodsmith or other major name videos either .
    My bad on the number of subscribers, I picked out the number of views on a recent on Blacktail Studio post, not subscribers. It is important. Thanks for the correction.

As to why a free DC from Oneida? Common practice on large subscriber base Youtube channels. It is how they spent their advertising dollars. Not all channels chose to go that route. Yanmar gave Wranglerstar a pretty good size 4wd enclosed cab tractor. It has seen plenty of exposure over the years.
    NOW you tell me...

I have not watched the video so I will not comment on it.

I had to assembly my system top-down because of the 7' ceiling and the need to have the motor up between the joists for height clearance to support a 55 gallon drum under the unit. I was also working alone, so the lifting had to be in manageable chunks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I saw the video, and I was surprised the guy did this. I suspect we all have done stupid things alone with no one to help. I've seen a lot of this guy's videos. He is humble and honest. It appears to me that he is a very good guy. I believe he knows he could have hurt himself installing the motor. He admitted in the video - which he narrated - that it wasn't smart. I'm glad he didn't get hurt, and the video reaffirms the reality that we all need to use our judgment at all times and to be careful in all aspects of woodworking, including equipment setup.