Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to cut an ovoid rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    How many rungs?
    A decent spokeshave can safely knock this out in an hour. You can leave the ends round for simple joinery.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...pokeshave.html

18 rungs that are 36" long

Blog Entries
    Do you know anyone with a shaper (or moulder even) it would be a really easy and quick job.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Ditch the dowels. They're inconsistent and tricky to machine. A bullnose on square stock is the obvious solution. Build yourself a simple router table with a fence.
    That's what I was thinking. All that would be required would be a large roundover bit. Would require a router table though I'd think. Here's a souce for a bullnose bit if Joe is interested. That bit is not bearing guided so it'd require a fence of some sort.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...s/bt_bull.html

I'd definitely skip the dowels and use a round over bit on the router table to round over some rectangular pieces. If you don't have a router table I have done a lot of similar round over work with a router clamped upside down in the side vise on my bench. I like to have a fence for round overs rather than just use the roller on the bit, but an improvised one in the form of a piece of wood clamped to the base plate works fine. The fence isn't absolutely necessary though. I just find it easier to keep everything under control.

My gym had (past tense, covid-19) round rungs. They simply squared off the ends to square tenons into matching mortises on the rails. That sounds way easier to me.
    Regards,

Tom

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Jointer/Planer? The first pass or 2 might be a bit tricky without something to keep it from rolling. Maybe a block tacked to one end, or a handscrew clamp?

I'm kind of in the 'dowels are ugly' camp though. 45's on a rectangle and round it with a plane sounds reasonable, and you can choose the wood.
    I'd feel safer running them through a thickness sander especially with clamps and whatnot

Blog Entries
    As Pete mentions, use a round-over bit on a table mounted router.

If you don't have a router table, then now is a good time to buy one.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-16-2020 at 5:42 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.