Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Question`

Blog Entries

Electrical Question`

I am about to connect my ClearVue Cyclone from a previous house to the new house. The old wiring setup had a black, red and green wire from the switch to the motor. My new 10ga wire has a black, white and green. I assume I still connect black where black was and green where green was (ground) but are the white and the red interchangeable? Tried uploading pics but system not allowing.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Do you need a 120V or a 240V supply for your cyclone?

IIRC- your old colors are standard for a 240V source and your new colors are standard for a 120V source. OTOH- there's a lot of exceptions and conventions about using and labeling non-standard wire colors I don't remember....

Blog Entries
    Thx David, the new is 240 rated at 50 amps. The Cyclone is 240. It has a 5 hp Lesson motor. The old is exactly the way it was wired for the past 10 years.

"Generally speaking", and there are valid exceptions, the presence of a Black and a Red conductor, as you describe, leads me to "assume" it is a 240vac installation.
    240vac circuits can also be accomplished with a Black, and a White, conductor. I have 8 of these circuits in my home. All electric baseboard heating, and my well pump.
    I also have 2 conductor, Black and White, 240vac circuits in my garage.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Do you need a 120V or a 240V supply for your cyclone?

IIRC- your old colors are standard for a 240V source and your new colors are standard for a 120V source. OTOH- there's a lot of exceptions and conventions about using and labeling non-standard wire colors I don't remember....
    You can, in most jurisdictions, phase tape the white as black or red. Assuming it's actually hot. 10ga won't support 50 amps though.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Green or bare is ground.
    White should be neutral or it may be a second hot in 240. that should have been marked with another color.
    Any other color is hot. In residential work hot is often black, red or blue.
    Bill D

Huh. I've only ever seen blue in 3ph. Learn something every day
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

For a 240v circuit, it's fairly common for regular 2 conductor plus ground NM cable to be used so the two hots are black and white and the ground is green. Marking the white conductor with tape "should" be done to designate it as hot, but sometimes that gets passed by both the installer and the inspector, assuming it was inspected. If three conductor plus ground is used, then black and red are the hots and green is the neutral. A white wire would be neutral which is not used for a 240v circuit unless it's dual 120v/240v.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind this is not behind a wall. It is going from a 240 30A plug, to a relay switch that is powered by 110( and has a remote clicker) back to 240 to the cyclone.

Blog Entries
    IMG_9317.jpg IMG_9316.jpg

Problem appears with the browser, working fine with MS Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Keep in mind this is not behind a wall. It is going from a 240 30A plug, to a relay switch that is powered by 110( and has a remote clicker) back to 240 to the cyclone.
    Doesn't matter....if the cord has three wires in it...the green (or bare) one is the ground. The other two are hots, regardless of color for a 240v application. The two hots are interchangable at either end, but keeping black to black is the correct way to wire things. The other hot, presumably a different color wire such as white or red, can and should be marked with black tape to clearly show it's a hot, particularly in a j-box, relay box, etc., for clarity.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-08-2020 at 9:32 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Doesn't matter....if the cord has three wires in it...the green (or bare) one is the ground. The other two are hots, regardless of color for a 240v application. The two hots are interchangable at either end, but keeping black to black is the correct way to wire things. The other hot, presumably a different color wire such as white or red, can and should be marked with black tape to clearly show it's a hot, particularly in a j-box, relay box, etc., for clarity.
    Thanks Jim, that was actually the answer I was looking for.

I like to use black heat shrink to mark a white wire hot. Easier then tape and more visible then marker.
    Bill D.

10 AWG wire (Copper) is rated for 30 amps (continuous), not 50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark McClurg View Post
    10 AWG wire (Copper) is rated for 30 amps (continuous), not 50.
    Yes I know now. Draw is 24 amps continuous or peak. My hot tub is a draw with f 40 Amos and we have a 60 amp service. Not sure of gauge of that eire