Thread: Large General 160 vs smaller, newer Nova Comet II or Tabletop Jet

Large General 160 vs smaller, newer Nova Comet II or Tabletop Jet

I have an appt to buy a Nova Comet II, Tabletop Jet or large General 160 lathe. All 12 inch swing.

Prices are within approx 100 dollars ranging from 300-400.

Opinions please !

I think it depends on the condition as well as other features (variable speed, etc.). That being said. I have a 10" Jet VS and it runs great. I've never turned on a General or Nova, fwiw.
    Tom

I'm sorry, but I think your prices are about 10 years old. The comet runs 5 to 600 and the Jet 12" runs at least 700. I've turned on the new Jet, it's great. I have not turned on the Comet or General. I have a Jet 10" and I love them (I do have 2 of them). I also have a Rikon 12", I use it when I need the extra swing.

Say more about the rikon swing. These are used machines at those prices.

The Rikon is a 12" the Mini Jets are 10. I prefer to turn on the Jet. They run much smoother. Both the Minis are very old. The Rikon is newer. The Rikon has banjo and tailstock creep issues. The minis did too, but I got aftermarket nut to fix the issue.
    What model is the jet? The Older jet 12" (1220) is nowhere near as good as the current 12" jet. Not sure I'd personally spend that much money on the older 12" Jet unless it came with stuff. As mentioned no idea on a new or used Comet. I've turned on an extremely old General 12", don't know the model, but it was a nice machine. No reverse. I'd spring for a 12" used General for sure. Good luck!

Depends on what you intend to turn. Pens and Christmas ornaments can be turned on any of them.

Allen -- Since all these lathes are used, which one to get depends largely on the condition of each lathe. All were good quality lathes when new. Maybe the Jet had a slight lead in terms of quality and features, but that would depend on which model Jet. Some of the older ones did not have variable speed. It's also true that Jet, like all the power tool companies, sometimes produces a lemon. So, look them over carefully and buy the one that's in the best condition.

The downside to the General, for most of us, is parts availability. The Nova is still being made, so parts should be readily available. (As with virtually all makes, the US parts supply may run short from time to time. But, Nova does support their products.) Depending on which model of Jet you're considering, it may or may not be part of Jet's current line. The good thing about the Jet, there are a lot of them. Of the three, parts should be easiest to get for the Jet.

Not that you're going to need any parts! Most of these lathes run for years -- with frequent use -- without needing any kind of repair. However, if a lathe has been abused, or if you're just unlucky, you may need to fix something. So, while parts availability is a consideration, I don't believe it to be an overriding concern.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona