Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parf System Question

Blog Entries

Parf System Question

The standard drill hole is 20 mm. Approximately 0.787" or slightly larger than 3/4". Will standard bench dogs and accessories fit or will I need to buy the 20 mm benchdogs?
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Blog Entries
    I believe you will need to buy 20mm stuff.

The 3/4" bench dogs will have too much slop to be of any use with the 20mm Parf/ Festool MFT type holes. Fortunately there are many 20mm dog options available.
    Dick Mahany.

You'll want to invest in 20mm hardware.

As an aside, one reason I also put in accomodations on my benches for 3/4" holes in addition to the 20mm grid is to allow continued used of my "beloved" hold-fasts which require 3/4" holes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm going to make an unsolicited suggestion - take a look at an alternate jig for making MFT holes.

https://www.taigatools.com/mft-router-template.html

This jig is faster and cheaper and will allow you easily make 3/4" dog holes if that's what you want. Simply switch out your bit. It's won't allow the intermediate holes in the diamond pattern like the Parf, but you'd have to weigh that against the 3/4" option.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 08-09-2020 at 9:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Check this out or make some using dowel stock. You will have to go several pages into link that comes up, but you will find flat dos that should work.

https://search.tb.ask.com/search/AJi...imgDetail=true
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-09-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I'm going to make an unsolicited suggestion - take a look at an alternate jig for making MFT holes.

https://www.taigatools.com/mft-router-template.html

This jig is faster and cheaper and will allow you easily make 3/4" dog holes if that's what you want. Simply switch out your bit. It's won't allow the intermediate holes in the diamond pattern like the Parf, but you'd have to weigh that against the 3/4" option.
    About a thousand times simpler than the Parfit system as well.

Blog Entries
    Looks simple enough. Have any of you guys used the Taiga system? I assume I have to purchase the "copy ring" (guide ring). Any issues finding a 30mm copy ring or a 20mm router bit of good quality? That adds to the cost but boy the system looks very simple. And way less expensive.

Blog Entries
    I have another question concerning the 30mm guide ring? I have a PC 6931 Plunge router which has three holes in the base. Most of the 30mm plates I have seen have only two hole 180 from each other. Not sure how to connect to base of router.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You'll want to invest in 20mm hardware.

As an aside, one reason I also put in accomodations on my benches for 3/4" holes in addition to the 20mm grid is to allow continued used of my "beloved" hold-fasts which require 3/4" holes.

Out of curiosity, what brand of hold fasts are you using? I have 20mm holes in my workbench top and both my Grammercy and my Black Bear Forge hold fasts are rock solid in the 4" top

I used the Parf system to create a workbench with 20mm holes. I have 3/4" bench dogs made from oak dowel. To get them to fit, I wrapped a bit of masking tape around them. Over time the tape gets scrunched up at the edges and eventually needs to be replaced. I could probably avoid this by using wide tape so that there fewer exposed edges from wrapping, but it hasn't been enough of an annoyance yet to actually do anything.

Blog Entries
    There is a video where they use the aluminum HVAC tape. Its nice and wide.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens Hoffmann View Post
    Out of curiosity, what brand of hold fasts are you using? I have 20mm holes in my workbench top and both my Grammercy and my Black Bear Forge hold fasts are rock solid in the 4" top
    Actually dont use them. I am a middle skilled woodworker but am planning on getting there now that we have a new house with a workshop and I have space.

I'm planning on using my existing MFT top to create the hole pattern in a much bigger assembly top. I'll plunge a smaller hole, then use a flush trim bit to get to 20mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    About a thousand times simpler than the Parfit system as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Looks simple enough. Have any of you guys used the Taiga system? I assume I have to purchase the "copy ring" (guide ring). Any issues finding a 30mm copy ring or a 20mm router bit of good quality? That adds to the cost but boy the system looks very simple. And way less expensive.
    Brainfart, I was thinking of the Woodpecker Tools system.
    https://www.woodpeck.com/hole-boring-jig-2019.html
    Comes complete with guide bushings in either metric or imperial. Woodpeck also sells router bits for these.