Thread: Drill press Center pulley pivot arm stuck

Drill press Center pulley pivot arm stuck

I recently bought an old 16 speed drill press that runs pretty good but could use some TLC. The other day I was testing the speeds and I realized the middle pulley of the three wasn't moving when I push the motor out to tension the v belts. It seems like the pivot arm is stuck.

I am tempted to spray penetrating oil and hammer the arm back and forth until I can yank it out to clean it properly but I am concerned about getting it onto the belt and causing slippage. What do you experts suggest I do to yank the pivot arm out without damaging anything?

Cheers
    Peter

Sounds as if I have similar belt setup: 3x stepped sheaves - 1 driver, 1 idler, 1 driven. And I am horrible about speed changes: "Close enough. Run it!"

So I am thinking along slightly different lines - - I want to do 1 of 2 options:
    1. Mount a 2-3Hp, 3ph motor directly above the quill, connect using a shaft coupler, then power it via a VFD. No belts at all, but 'big' motor power/torque to use big bits at low RPM.
    2. Mount a 1-2Hp, 3ph motor in place of existing, re-use the stepped driver and driven sheaves, but ditch the idler. Power via VFD. With the belt in the middle, the VFD handles 90% of my usage RPM/torque. Only one belt to move and equal or better RPM range to OEM setup.

...Doesn't answer your question, but then I'm not an expert either. Maybe just food for thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lan View Post
    I recently bought an old 16 speed drill press that runs pretty good but could use some TLC. The other day I was testing the speeds and I realized the middle pulley of the three wasn't moving when I push the motor out to tension the v belts. It seems like the pivot arm is stuck.

I am tempted to spray penetrating oil and hammer the arm back and forth until I can yank it out to clean it properly but I am concerned about getting it onto the belt and causing slippage. What do you experts suggest I do to yank the pivot arm out without damaging anything?

Cheers
    Peter
    I think you can spray penetrant solution without getting it on the belt. I like PB-Blaster. Cover the belt if needed. You can always replace the belt inexpensively if needed. If it is a simple shaft stuck in a bushing pply penetrant more than once, tapping occasionally, then make it move.

JKJ

The center idler on my drill press is on a bracket with two slotted holes and bolts to the frame. It does not "pivot" but slides back an forth as necessary to equalize the tension and then is tightened in place. Might your idler mechanics be similar?

On my mill/drill the center idler arm is adjusted as needed then a bolt is tightened to hold it in place.
    Location? could it be rust? pry up with a crow bar or use a gear puller.
    Bill D.

Pictures would help too.