Thread: The spokeshave wins

The spokeshave wins

Hi guys, I'm really trying to build a guitar without the use of motors. I can't say that I didn't use any power tools to this point but I'm getting there. I was struggling last night to fare the top and back of my guitar with hand tools. I tried chisels and planes but it wasn't til this morning that I broke out the spokeshave. Light shines down from heaven. OMG, it was such a great experience. I was able to bring the top and back completely flush with the ribs except at the waist. Effortlessly.

20200807_075953 (WC).jpg20200807_075944 (WC).jpg

I'm thinking spoke shaves have to be near the top of the list of ultimate hand tools for working wood.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I'm thinking spoke shaves have to be near the top of the list of ultimate hand tools for working wood.
    Maybe near the top or the list as one of the ultimate speciality tools of woodworking.

Next we will have to have a discussion of bevel up versus bevel down. Then imagine if someone designed a spokeshave with a chip breaker.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Now that you mention it, there are times where I SHOULD have grabbed a spokeshave. I'll have to go find mine.
    Hmmm....... A chip breaker. Make a spokeshave even better? I wonder. I'd buy one I think. Especially if I can't find mine. An excuse to buy another tool. I'm going to google this.

While there seem to be an infinite number of spoke shave rabbit holes to dive down Jim, the "best way to sharpen a spoke shave" rabbit hole would most likely break the internet.
    David

Always good to have the right tool for the right job!
    Glad it worked for you!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”