Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bragging on USPS

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    It was a small package, a threaded inserts kit. Can't remember what the shipping option was called but the tracking showed Rockler handed off to UPS on the day of my order, UPS handed off to USPS in 2 days, then 16 days later I got the package. At day 11 or 12, the tracking indicated it was at my post office but it didn't get delivered. I went to the post office, showed them the tracking. They checked and said that they had not yet received the package from UPS. When I asked how the tracking showed it had hit their loading dock, they just mumbled they didn't know, but they didn't have it.
    The whole point of UPS Surepost is supposed to be that UPS moves the package to a facility close to your city and then transfers the package to the USPS as close to your address as they can get it. It shouldn't take the USPS 10 days to deliver a package the final 100 miles or less. I find that once Surepost or Smartpost transfers the package to the USPS that I get the package the next day. Sunday even with Surepost.

Fedex will deliver Smartpost packages via their Fedex ground vehicles if they already have a delivery on your street. I don't know if UPS is doing that for Surepost.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post

Fedex will deliver Smartpost packages via their Fedex ground vehicles if they already have a delivery on your street. I don't know if UPS is doing that for Surepost.
    UPS does deliver them here if they already have our address slated for another delivery that same day. The idea of USPS drop off is to cut down the number of stops that the UPS truck has to make for lower priority/lower profit packages from online retail, but their system is smart enough to know that if they are stopping anyway...drop that one, too. At least that has been my personal experience for sometime now here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    USPS tracking has a foolproof way to determine 'early' labeling via 'tracking status'... I just took a screenshot of a few of my Stamps.com entries that just happen to have almost every status category:
    Attachment 438573
    all are self-explanatory, but the "printed" category is key, it literally means the label has ONLY been printed. Until the status hits 'in transit' or 'delivered', that package label hasn't been scanned.

Now, I've had many packages that have been delivered that never got past the 'printed' status. But if tracking shows 'in transit', the post office has it
    I just received a small Ebay package like that. I got a tracking number that said the label had been printed but no indication of the package being in the system. A few days elapsed. The first time it showed up in the tracking system was when it hit the local post office and was out for delivery. The tracking number started with 9400 which seems to indicate first class. For us, USPS is hard to beat for small packages, around 1 lb. or less. Larger packages UPS or FedEx are usually the better choice.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-09-2020 at 8:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    UPS does deliver them here if they already have our address slated for another delivery that same day. The idea of USPS drop off is to cut down the number of stops that the UPS truck has to make for lower priority/lower profit packages from online retail, but their system is smart enough to know that if they are stopping anyway...drop that one, too. At least that has been my personal experience for sometime now here.
    I thought the real reason UPS uses the USPS is so they can offer cheaper shipping options like Surepost and Mail Innovations? Apparently, UPS can handle the long haul cheaper than USPS, but USPS is cheaper for the final delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I thought the real reason UPS uses the USPS is so they can offer cheaper shipping options like Surepost and Mail Innovations? Apparently, UPS can handle the long haul cheaper than USPS, but USPS is cheaper for the final delivery.
    That is the reason they do it. But if they are already going to an address on a given day to deliver a "regular" UPS package or three and know there's a SurePost package also slated to go to that same address that day, it's one less they have to drop off to the USPS and pay USPS to deliver.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    USPS has stripped local post offices of sorting and handling...
    www.ernst.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact

http://www.grassley.senate.gov/contact

In light of the recent shakeup, this bears mentioning to your Senators. USPS has become a lifeline for Pharmacies during the outbreak.

They did this to Tucson years ago. We're a city of about 1 million people. I frequently have mail sit in Phoenix for a week now, including the last 3 packages.

I wouldn't use mail order pharmacies (despite our insurance company offering heavy incentives to do so) on a bet. It's a good thing I'm not on any maintenance meds.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    It takes two and often three days to get a check from my mailbox to the lumber yard that I can literally see from my pasture hilltop. But I frequently get USPS deliveries from across the country in the same time or less, including next day delivery from metro areas in the Midwest. USPS has stripped local post offices of sorting and handling, so for those of us in outer leaves of the tree, everything has to go all the way to the base of the trunk before getting anywhere. That check I send to the lumber yard is actually sorted 120 miles from here.
    They did that years (decades?) ago in the Philadelphia area. Our local post office has 2 letter slots, one for same zip and another for any other destination. The other slot deposits go to a huge sorting facility with, I'm convinced, a micro black hole within.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-12-2020 at 8:19 AM.

My recent experience with USPS has been horrible. I sent a package to Canada on 7/16, took 3 days to go 20 miles, 2 more days to go 15 miles and now they can't find the package and feel blaming Canada and Covid for their incompetence is how you do business.

I'm sure this is an anomaly - but I had a 24 pound box shipped on Saturday from Kentucky to Florida (regular shipping not priority) that arrived Monday at 11:00AM.

that's great but overall USPS no other way to describe it. Their tracking is all but useless.

My wife had a package from Illinois take 1 month to arrive. "Tracking" showed it in PA, then CA, then NC.

A second box went to Hawaii - according to their tracking.

And I paid $28 to send a dado set to Forrest yesterday, 3-6 day "guaranteed delivery". 6-10 days was only $3 less.

And 30 something states are set for mail in voting........................has anyone seen the test CBS ran with ballots? They lost 3% of them!!
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-12-2020 at 2:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Weiner View Post
    I'm sure this is an anomaly - but I had a 24 pound box shipped on Saturday from Kentucky to Florida (regular shipping not priority) that arrived Monday at 11:00AM.

Not an anomaly, I ship stuff every Saturday from Utah to all 4 corners of the country, and with the exception of the disconnected states, I'd say 29 of 30 packages arrive on Monday, including first class mail.

As to the 3% loss of test ballots, **this is just my opinion** but that's hardly surprising given the fact the USPS has been deliberately sabotaged...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    that's great but overall USPS no other way to describe it. Their tracking is all but useless.

My wife had a package from Illinois take 1 month to arrive. "Tracking" showed it in PA, then CA, then NC.

A second box went to Hawaii - according to their tracking.

And I paid $28 to send a dado set to Forrest yesterday, 3-6 day "guaranteed delivery". 6-10 days was only $3 less.

And 30 something states are set for mail in voting........................has anyone seen the test CBS ran with ballots? They lost 3% of them!!
    If USPS was losing 3% of the first class mail - I assume ballots are sent first class - we'd have heard about it a long time ago. Based on the volume of mail that goes through the post office daily 3% would be a lot of mail lost. I'll bet USPS has some statistics on their performance somewhere.

Mike

[You can probably also get statistics from states that use mail balloting. Isn't Washington state all mail in? I'll bet they did a lot of checking before they went that way. If 3% were being lost they would never had gone to all mail.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-13-2020 at 6:31 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Isn't Washington state all mail in? I'll bet they did a lot of checking before they went that way. If 3% were being lost they would never had gone to all mail.
    Yes, our ballots are sent to us in the mail. Voters can either place a stamp on the return envelope or there are secure ballet boxes at various locations around town.

You also have to understand any checking done by states that have already switched to using mailed ballots was done before efforts were undertaken to radically change the USPS.

There are some who have a lot to gain if the USPS fails.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, our ballots are sent to us in the mail. Voters can either place a stamp on the return envelope or there are secure ballet boxes at various locations around town.

You also have to understand any checking done by states that have already switched to using mailed ballots was done before efforts were undertaken to radically change the USPS.

There are some who have a lot to gain if the USPS fails.

jtk

Jim, the return envelope is pr-paid no stamp needed for the last 2 years. Our vote is anything other than secure. To register to vote there is nothing required to show you are a legal resident and it is against the law to verify, ya that's right. You can even register on line just need an address. We had a governors election that had 3 recounts till the original loser came out on top after finding many boxes of ballots in closets and back rooms 2 weeks later. I could go on but I am sure you can tell I am not a fan.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott