Thread: Tape storage ideas

Tape storage ideas

it is remarkable how many different types of tape a shop can accumulate. I'm fixing to make a long board with dowels set to carry the rolls, but thought I'd ask the question first. Has anything worked well for you in the tape storage dept?

Blog Entries
    Drawers with and without dividers.

tape drawers.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I now have the tape I use the most (blue and orange "masking" tape) on heavy dispensers from StewMac (guitar stuff supplier) and keep the rest of my tape that is used only sporadically on the top shelf of my "glue" cabinet in the shop.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a couple of the 2" video tape cans I use to store Christmas lights. It took a long time to unwind the tape into the trash. It was some sitcom from the 80's
    Bill D.

I have the type you are suggesting. A board with six 10" dowels on it. I mounted it high, and it takes up little room, but stores lots of tapes, as well as sweat bands and ear muffs.

Hmm. Just offhand, I have masking tape in several sizes, duct tape, three kinds of teflon tape, friction tape, and electrical tape on it, plus the other things above. All in an area about 2' long and 10" high. Band saw blades are above it, and I get them down with a grabber, which is one of my favorite tools, as I get older.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My tape resides in a drawer as well. Leastways the rolls that managed to make it home. Seems like there are always several rolls roaming around somewhere in the shop.

Clint

In a bin in a cabinet. Never dedicated drawer space to it. Seems like too many rolls to do that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

No, but I find if I put them in a box or drawer, I'll never find them again. I'm trying to keep them hanging on long tangs on a tool pegboard so I can see them from across the room

I keep most of mine in a big plastic bin with a snap on top. It seems to keep them from drying out (the ones that are prone to that, anyway). The two or three that are most used live in a drawer under my bench. Electrical tape lives in the electrical tools go bag, but in the plastic cases good tape comes in.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--