Thread: Unisaw Hand Wheel Stud Removal

Unisaw Hand Wheel Stud Removal

I have an older Unisaw (model 36-816) and I need to remove the stud that is attached to the angle hand wheel. I am installing a router table wing on the left side of the saw, and because it is a right tilt saw, I have a clearance issue with the stud that sticks out of the angle hand wheel. Does anyone know how to get that stud off the hand wheel? It has a plastic cover on it that spins, but there are no set screws or Allen heads visible. I’m trying not to destroy it in case I will ever need to reinstall it. Appreciate any help.
    DFCAD2B0-2290-42CA-9426-17C71F875CEF.jpg

Blog Entries
    Visit this site and see if they can help.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/de...334_14083.html

The hand wheels are no longer available, and it was sold as an assembly. So there's no breakdown of the assembly anyway. I went and looked at mine, it's pretty much what I expected from the front. It's press fit. You can get to it from the back with a punch.

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Thank you all.

Older Honda Civics had a spring loaded window crank for the back seat so the handle did not poke people. Folding motorcycle foot pegs might be a starting point.
    Bill D

If you’ve got a router table close enough to that handwheel handle, you’re going to have a heck of a time tilting the blade when you need to. Think about how many turns it takes to go from 90 to 45.

If it’s only just barely conflicting with the handwheel, consider making you’re own handle after you remove your old one. An easy way to do it is to tap threads into the hole, install a bolt with a shop made handle.

It looks like it's a press fit or the cap on the end of the handle has to come off to reveal a screw. I think if I was going to possible reuse it I would just buy a replacement hand wheel that will fit on the shaft. They aren't that expensive.

Thanks everyone. I was able to drive the handle post out with a hammer and punch without damaging it. I will use a small knob with a 5/16 shaft that I can bolt onto the handle for the times I need to adjust the angle.