Thread: segmented mahagony lidded box

segmented mahagony lidded box

This is a large box about 9" in diameter. I was practicing my compound miter skills to make this. Used my router to add some details to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty. In a lot of segmented work, the segmenting is all you see, sometimes almost too much so IMHO, obscuring the form and other features (I know it's a little weird to say this when the segmentation pattern is often the point). I like how the carving in this piece simultaneously de-emphasizes yet complements the segmenting.

Thanks for posting it. I wish we as a group were posting more current work, regardless of complexity or skill level -- it's a great source of ideas and inspiration. Sometimes I go back to a random point in this forum's past when many were posting work and just browse the pics.

Best,

Dave

Handsome and kind of scientific. The people of the future will use it for small treasures and always wonder "what it does"

Very nice!

Don't know where to start compliments. The routing is something else and must have taking some innovative setup. Really dramatic even to post. Well done. Segments are last thing one sees but good also.