Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Festool ribbed hoses

Upgrading Festool ribbed hoses

Some weeks ago now, I became aware that my Festool CT26e vacuum cleaner was not sucking as strongly as it should ..

I have had the vacuum cleaner for about 5 years, and thought perhaps it was time to clean out the HEPA filter! This was done, and the performance seemed to return to original levels.

Just for reference, the HEPA filter looked pretty clean on one side, while the other was lightly dirty on the outside. Wacking it did dislodge a reasonable amount of dust from between the filter layers. One reason for the lighter-than-expected amount of dust was that it was used with a small cyclone, in this case, a Dust Commander. This replaced a Dust Deputy, which does not have anti-static properties.

All this got me thinking about what could be done to improve the hoses used. There are four in the collection: the standard (green) 27mm Festool; a 35mm (blue) Bosch, which is identical to the 36mm Festool at half the price; a (black) 27mm Mirka, which is dedicated to a Mirka Ceros ROS sander; and a 20mm (black) Mirka hose, which is for the Mirka hand sanders.

I became aware of these fancy new hoses from Festool, with smooth braided sides, and which were advertised for improved handling ...

Could the new hose design be different from the old hose design? It was interesting to look at the inside of my hoses. The ribs appear small - much smaller internally than suggested from the outside or if one looked at those hoses used in dust collection systems ...

I decided that it would not be cost-effective to replace the hoses for the braided exterior.

Then I came across a video of hoses being covered in the same material as those on the braided Festool, above. Rather than paying hundreds for a new hose, it would be possible to add a covering to each for about $10. Why do this? Because those damned ribbings catch when the hoses are slid along a bench top. This is an irritation when used with a sander, but dangerous when used with a router.

The woven covering is durable and said to offer a protective sheathing for the hoses. Where does one get these coverings? Just Google "BRAIDED HOSE SLEEVE KIT".

It looks like this. I chose black for all ...

Remove the fittings ...

Slide the hose in, tape down at one end, and then smooth it back to the start and pull tight ...

I used self-sealing tape ...

... and replace the fitting ...

Each hose was colour-coded for ease of recognition ...

I am now waiting on braiding for the Bosch hose ...

In use, the hoses are magic. They feel so nimble and easy to move around ... one is far less aware of their presence.

They come in all colours. The hoses covered all used a 25mm diameter for the 20 - 27mm covering. The 35mm hose will require a 50mm diameter.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That is awesome Derek! Thank you for posting. The ribs on my Mirka hose absolutely annoy me when they catch on the bench.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Derek many thanks for posting this info. I am looking to replace the braided sleeve on my 36mm Festool hose. I used a product that was recommended by a Festool dealer to sleeve the hose and a power cord. I believe the product was called Gorilla Flex. It has turned out to be way too rigid and the hose has a mind of its own and wants to self coil.

It was a mistake and I'll check out the material that you referenced.

Ripping Long Boards with Extension.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 08-07-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

It looks like 1.25" techflex. We use this stuff in various sizes for gorping cables. It's great stuff, and makes things look nice and tidy in the process. I really only say this because I did google 'braided hose sleeve kit' and got nothing but stainless steel braided automotive lines (then again, google probably knows my other hobbies as well and that one is a lot more expensive)

Derek, how was taking the ends off? Is it just a snap lock type detent?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Oh Derek. Do you feel any shame whatsoever in depriving a poor, struggling, neighborhood hardware shop like Festool of the sale of one new, slick outer-cover replacement hose?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    It looks like 1.25" techflex. We use this stuff in various sizes for gorping cables. It's great stuff, and makes things look nice and tidy in the process. I really only say this because I did google 'braided hose sleeve kit' and got nothing but stainless steel braided automotive lines (then again, google probably knows my other hobbies as well and that one is a lot more expensive)

Derek, how was taking the ends off? Is it just a snap lock type detent?
    Mike, I used that search title on eBay. Try “braided cable wrap” for Google.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Oh Derek. Do you feel any shame whatsoever in depriving a poor, struggling, neighborhood hardware shop like Festool of the sale of one new, slick outer-cover replacement hose?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I did the same thing but only the 40" or so before the tool end. This is the area that I snag with my setup. My hose is not a Festool. It does expand and contract a bit but, the sleeving seems to tolerate it fine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I put the cover on my Festool hose awhile back, too, and also have a cord through it so it's "one" piece dragging behind the tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I put the cover on my Festool hose awhile back, too, and also have a cord through it so it's "one" piece dragging behind the tool.
    Jim, I use the hoses with tools which use different cords. At least 3 different routers (two are Elu and one is a Makita trim) and 2 different ROS sanders (Festool and Mirka). The power cord arrangements are different for each. Consequently, hoses are used independently.

For those using one power cord system, it is certainly a consideration.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I did that too, but I find the electrical cord flapping in the breeze at the end when vacuuming to be a little annoying. Works fine when used for tools.

I never found a great solution for that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

DC Hose h.jpgMy hoses get dusty dragging around the floor. These sleeves look like they would pick up more dust. Do you find that happening?

Oops, irrelevant picture attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 08-07-2020 at 7:43 AM.

Interesting, thanks Derek.

I noticed that my old ribbed hose is far stiffer than my new one with the sleeve on the outside..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I did that too, but I find the electrical cord flapping in the breeze at the end when vacuuming to be a little annoying. Works fine when used for tools.
    I don't use my Festool vac for any kind of general cleanup, so that's not been an issue. I have a small, Ridgid vac for that.

-----

Derek, in your situation with multiple brand electric hand tools, a separate cord makes sense.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Instead of tape on the ends of the braided material you can use heat shrink tubing. A lot of electrical wiring harnesses use braided wire loom with heat shrink on the ends. It'll never unravel or come unstuck like tape.