Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather Case for Tools (Handsaws) Safe? Or Rust Inducing?

Good to hear from you George!
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    I have a LN dovetail that has always been stored in the LN leather sheath for the 20 years I have owned the saw, never had an issue with rust. I keep the saw in the sheath, mainly because I store the saw in a drawer underneath my workbench. YMMV..
    Same here! Saw lives in the sheath if I am not using it. When I do use it, I wipe it down before putting it back in the sheath (to remove the sawdust).

Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany
    I completely agree with chris carter. It depends on leather.

Thomas Jackson...since he rarely ever drew his sword...one day he found it rusted in the scabbard..and had to rally his troops with the sword still in it's scabbard....You might know Old Tom Fool by his other nickname...Stonewall Jackson...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Thomas Jackson...since he rarely ever drew his sword...one day he found it rusted in the scabbard..and had to rally his troops with the sword still in it's scabbard....You might know Old Tom Fool by his other nickname...Stonewall Jackson...
    A fearless guy, and great tactician. He was known for doing nutty looking arm and torso movements while riding his
    horse "Little Sorrel". Something about getting his body back in balance.

Blog Entries
    I also have a leather chisel roll and I have no rust. A coat of Johnson Floor wax will keep tools from rusting.

The worst enemy of polished steel just might be the corrosive sweat that some people have on their hands. I knew a guy who rusted right through a well oiled pistol. He rusted up the tools in my shop too. Fortunately he did not stay too long as an apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The worst enemy of polished steel just might be the corrosive sweat that some people have on their hands. I knew a guy who rusted right through a well oiled pistol. He rusted up the tools in my shop too. Fortunately he did not stay too long as an apprentice.
    One of computer techs is like that. I won't even let him sit down in my office. His rust attraction has however improved after he stopped smoking.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

9. I find plastic "paper binders" better suited to protect my fine saws teeth. They don’t scratch, they are solid, ... They don’t protect the plates Though.

Leather is a precious thing I am not comfortable using for trivial use. As for historic sheathing techniques, I have seen my fair share of braided, oiled, waxed fabric and wooden scabbards for tools. Leather too, of course, but for the small pieces, such as glasses, specialty knifes, compasses ...