Thread: Casein Plastic: Does Anyone Still Use it for Pens?

Casein Plastic: Does Anyone Still Use it for Pens?

I have some small Casein plastic rods, and I know in the past it was used for turning and pen-making. Is that still done?

Thank you.

Scott

I see it on a regular basis on the penturner's forum. Not often, but still desirable. I've not worked any, but sounds like heat is an enemy. If you should choose to sell any, i'd like to give it a try one day.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    I see it on a regular basis on the penturner's forum. Not often, but still desirable. I've not worked any, but sounds like heat is an enemy. If you should choose to sell any, i'd like to give it a try one day.
    earl
    Earl, thanks for your response. Is this the Forum you're referring to?

https://www.penturners.org/forums/

Thanks Again,
    Scott

Yes sir, that’s the one. Couldn’t remember if I could link another forum from SMC, guess we can!!
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Yes sir, that’s the one. Couldn’t remember if I could link another forum from SMC, guess we can!!
    earl
    Earl, thanks. It looked like the biggie.

Earl, would it be okay if I PMd you? I wondered if I could get a guideline on what a fair price for casein turning blanks might look like; also, what diameters and lengths are desirable.

Likewise, do people sometimes use Bakelite for pen turning? I have access to some really attractive Bakelite colors as well.

Thanks very much,

Scott

Hey Scott,
    PM more than welcome. We’re headed to another couple’s house shortly. Seems like I’ve seen Bakelite used also. I’m not current on price of casein or Bakelite, but will try to do some searching in the morning. Standard blank for kit pens is 3/4” X 5” +/-, but a sixteenth smaller is good. Rods for kit less pen making are typically about .70” x 9” i think.
    earl