Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Roof Day For The Shop...

New Roof Day For The Shop...

The building my shop is in was built for the previous property owners sometime in the 1980s...and it still had the same roof on it. Until today. I've been planning on this project for some time now as the old roof was pretty darn brittle and if not for the 12 pitch, it would likely have been leaking long ago. Since I recently completed settling my mother's estate, she got to pay for it, too. I'm sure she'd peeking out from behind some fluffy cloud in the sky and shaking her head.

The folks were here before I was actually out of bed....I'm not a morning person and I barely have one eye partially open at 06:30. So they got to enjoy my pre-latté stupor as I moved our vehicles out of the way. LOL At any rate, the four dudes who did the work were policing for nails by 15:45 and it looks great. 'Actually matches the house roof now, too.

IMG_E8006.jpg

Before...

IMG_E8003.jpg

During...

IMG_E8004.jpg

I need to install the soffit vents and gutter guards, but that will get done after I complete the major room renovation I'm currently doing in the house.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks great Jim!

Just watched the crane deliver materials to the house up the street from me. How did they deliver the materials. I do not see any on the roof? I had never seen a crane just a conveyor belt. I bet a pallet of shingles weighs a ton or more.
    Bil lD

Looking good. I had considered re-roofing my shop after an addition, but wisely hired it out. My knees and back got together and had a conference call with my brain, and the 3 of them decided I had no business attempting such a task. 30 years ago and I would have thought twice.

Beautiful roof and building!
    Jealous!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looks great! I saw the title and thought it might be a victim of storm damage. Planned is much better.
    I had my roof done a few years ago and they arrived with a crew of 14! The started at 7 sharp and were gone by 1. I never found a nail or any evidence that they had been there other than a new roof ( and the bill). It was fun to watch them work as they were very organized and efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Just watched the crane deliver materials to the house up the street from me. How did they deliver the materials. I do not see any on the roof? I had never seen a crane just a conveyor belt. I bet a pallet of shingles weighs a ton or more.
    Bil lD
    Around here the crane mounted to the front of the flatbed truck seems to be the norm. We had our roof replaced in the wake of "Superstorm" Sandy. Materials delivered a couple days before. I was home and enjoyed watching the driver lift the bundles of shingles and other stuff onto the existing roof, that multi-jointed crane (whatever it's called) is downright clever. A crew of maybe a half dozen guys showed up one morning and were done by mid-afternoon.

Blog Entries
    Looks great, Jim!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Bil lD
    There’s a shingle elevator/hoist in the third picture.

It is a great feeling to have those kinds of repairs done and done well.

Did they use any fall protection?

Bil lD
    The delivery vehicle had to park out on the road as it was far too large to make the turn on our driveway. They used a Moffatt (fork truck) to bring the materials up our 400' driveway. This particular contractor used a simple ladder like powered lift to get the materials up to the peek but that was after the intermediate photo was taken. A friend of mine who owns a roofing company (he wasn't able to schedule my job anytime within reasonable time frame as he specializes in large and unique projects) has a lift trailer than can go up two stories, both for debris removal and to get new material up on the roof.

------

Mike, I do a lot of my own home improvement tasks, but I draw the line at things like roofing. Even if I was brave (and young) enough to tackle roofing, this one really wasn't a good candidate for DIY because of the 12 pitch for safety reasons. Even these four experienced roofers had to take a lot of safety precautions that often included two men and a line/rope, to accomplish the task. Even so, I was impressed that they got it done in one day.

Ted, their fall prevention was "somewhat informal" but employed when they felt they needed it. As noted in the above paragraph, two men and a line when they did need it in addition to employing multiple lines of boards on hangers.
    --

Roof and nails

A 12/12 is definitely time for a pro. As to nail pick up, I had one of those bar magnet deals with the small wheels. I recently picked this roller up at HF. I run over the same area and picked up a lot more metal with the new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They had two magnetic nail picker-uppers, Jack...one like in your photo and a smaller one without wheels that they could stick in tighter places. That was followed up with a leaf blower that presumably put anything missed in the landscaping. LOL Given this was the day after the storm (literally) it's amazing how clean the driveway is today...and I didn't have to lift a finger. Other than to write a big check, of course.
    --

I had to go to their office and pay them about two weeks after they were done. We kept waiting for them to send a bill which never came. First job I ever had done where they did not want to be paid as soon as possible. I guess they really do know where I live.
    Bill D