Thread: Outfeed Table with MFT typr holes or T-Tracks

Blog Entries

Outfeed Table with MFT typr holes or T-Tracks

Would you rather have an MFT type top with holes or a T-Track type top? This particular setup will be for a SawStop outfeed table/assembly table and will be about 4' x 6'
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

My preference is for a MFT type top. A series of bench dog holes gives lots of variability for placement of temporary fences and stops also knowing these will give perfect 90 and 45 degree angles.

I'm with Chris for the same reasons.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    MDF material? And single or dbl layer? Also would you think a torsion box would be necessary?
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    MDF material? And single or dbl layer? Also would you think a torsion box would be necessary?
    A torsion box is easy to build, having the initial flat reference surface is the toughest part.

I built my outfeed table top as a torsion box. I used 3/4" pdf on the top and 1/2" on the bottom. I think I used 3/4" Popular as the internal support/frame pieces.

I didn't put any bench dog holes in this top, but I do clamp pieces it around the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    I like MDF for this application because it's flat and smooth. Single layer if you want to be able to use clamps that insert through the holes. Torsion box not required as long as you have proper support, but it's a good way to make a sturdy and flat table setup that stays that way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been thinking about using Matchfit dovetail clamp grooves, perhaps in addition to MFT holes in between the dovetail grooves.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

The outfeed table for my sawstop is 3x7 with a Paulk style double layer top with the upper layer bored with 20mm holes. Festool clamps work in these holes as well as dogs. Other brands of clamps also work well with 20mm holes. I used 3/4 plywood for the top, both layers. Paulk's design has ribs separating the two tops which have large holes in them. They help keep things flat but also allow for tool storage on the lower level so they are handy but not in the way.