Thread: Another "What is this Wood" picture...

Another "What is this Wood" picture...

It's about 6" long, 1' x 1.25" and is very light in weight.

Seems pretty hard to the fingernail test

Straight tight grain.

Appreciate any ideas...

Thanks.

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Blog Entries
    It looks like a specie of Oak to me, but what do I know. You might google oak and similar wood.
    https://www.shutterstock.com/search/oak+color

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-v...ants-251915692

My guess is one of the mahogany variants.

Light in weight is kind of ambivalent. My WAG is white oak. Looks like the beginning of ray fleck on one side. Take an end grain picture.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

It's got grain going in two directions..... Must be one of the "plastic laminates"

I don't know what it is but I would bet $100 to a donut that it isn't an oak species. My guess is the same as Jon Grider's - some form of imitation mahogany.

I'm pretty sure it's not oak. I would lean toward one the mahogany variants.

5.5' 2 x 6 board weighs 7.8 pounds

IMG_3237.jpg

Sipo?

Certainly not North American.

Some tropical mahogany like species. Google Meranti.

Do you have a lot of this or just that one piece? Might decide how much time and energy is worth spending for an ID.

Measure and weigh and calculate the density. That can eliminate some guesses.
    Look at the Wood Database wood ID page for how to examine the end grain. That can eliminate some guesses.
    Look up pictures candidate species on the woodpics list on hobbithouseinc.com

11. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's not oak. I would lean toward one the mahogany variants.

5.5' 2 x 6 board weighs 7.8 pounds

IMG_3237.jpg
    The weight seems about right for Paulownia. It looks a little like a piece I have here in my shop, but not a perfect match so I am can't say for sure. Have a look at the Wood Database (https://www.wood-database.com/paulownia/). I don't think there are too many woods in that density range though.

If it is Paulownia it is very strong for its weight and not bad to work with. It is porous though. It is a good tone wood for musical instruments. I wish it was more readily available here.

Thanks everyone.

I 'found' about 6 - 8 boards behind some other wood in my shop. No idea where I got it, and almost threw it out. Think I'll keep it and use it for something! It is kind of "plain" and was /is painted, but it cleans up pretty good, so that's OK I guess.

I'd bet money it's not any species of oak.

It looks like a South east asian wood like Meranti/Lauan. But your fingernail test is throwing me for a loop. My second guess would be a mahogany substitute like khaya.

I see one of the Mahogany complex: Sipo, Khaya, etc.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep