Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outfeed table problem on my jointer

Outfeed table problem on my jointer

I got a used 16" jointer, an SCMI F410.
    I cannot move the outfeed table up or down more than 1/16".

The first photo here shows the hand knob, the second one shows the threaded rod where it attaches to a cross bar to move the cams

IMG_6157.jpg IMG_6161.jpg

When I try to turn the knob clockwise it clamps up after about a half turn, when I go counter clockwise the knob comes off

IMG_6162.jpg

If I use a wrench to keep that nut tight to the knob and go counter clockwise then I cannot turn the rod.

I loosened the limiters on the one cam adjuster that has them, but it makes no difference

IMG_6159.jpg

I've googled this problem, and searched youtube, but have found nothing. I also have not been able to find a manual for the machine online, but I have read that the manual is not well written and so not useful.

Any help very much appreciated!

thank you, Mark

I had the same problem at one time with my jointer, and discovered there was a little pawl I had engaged that I had locked (it was on the infeed table in my case) that made my jointer act exactly like what you’re describing.
    Try and find the midpoint between the upper and lower lock points and see if there’s some locking knob or spring loaded pin that’s stopping it. Good luck.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    If that nut really belongs under the knob then it should be backed into the knob to lock it in place on the shaft. Thread the knob on to within a mm or two of the nut, hold the knob while backing the nut into it to lock it in place and try again. This is my first guess ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Aaron, thanks for that suggestion, however the "lock" for that shaft is right under the knob and it is disengaged.

Glenn, thanks also, and alas I have also tried this. No luck.

I sprayed plenty of WD40 on every part of the system. Who knows, maybe late today it'll budge.

Blog Entries
    Does it move far enough to be hitting this? Sorry for the random guesses. I'll bet a call or email to SCMI North America will be your best bet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good idea, I hadn't thought of doing that - I'll get in touch with SCMI and see what they say.

Mark are you sure that knob is not just a stop ? I looked at your pics from the first thread and it looks to me that the knob you are playing with is not the one attached to the shaft in pic #2. Is there a handle anywhere ? I have a Paoloni parallel bed 16 inch jointer and have completely adjusted it. This mechanism seems different on yours.

Probably same problem mine has, old sawdust built up on the hidden parts.
    My planer also stopped going up and down, wood jammed all up under in the gearing.
    Spraying it with something might make it stick on worse. A brush and pick might be needed.
    They say not to take the out feed table loose due to major pain getting it aligned again.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 08-09-2020 at 5:22 PM.

With a camera at the ready (pics of each step for reassembly) remove all parts and clean them.

Reverse the order for reassembly.

Discard left over parts.

Mike, that knob might be just a stop. It is on the end of the threaded rod shown in photo 2, however you might be right in that it doesn't actually move the table.

Bruce, Jim - think I'll take Bruce's advice here and not disassemble the whole thing, at least not for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Bruce, Jim - think I'll take Bruce's advice here and not disassemble the whole thing, at least not for now.
    That's disappointing.
    Now what will I do with all this Popcorn?

Seriously - there's likely some plastic gimcrack wedged in the pinion gear that moves the rack.

I want to give thanks here to Jerry Johnson, the general manager of JG Machinery.
    I emailed him this morning to ask if he had any manuals for the F410 jointer (I stumbled on their website through a google search for manuals) and he replied about an hour later with two pdfs of the manuals. A thoroughly decent thing to do, when it was obvious I was not about to order a new machine from him.

www.jgmachinery.com

I haven't solved the problem yet, but my faith in humanity has gone up!

Mark

I have an F410N also. The knob on the front is for adjustment and the one under is the lock. Mine is also difficult to turn, but not enough to unscrew the knob. My machine has a Tersa head so I only need a few thousandths of travel to dial it in.

I think John is on to something. The outfeed does not need much adjusting. If it dials in then it’s fine.

Well I went and did it - I loosened up everything I could, sprayed a lot of WD40, and got the table to come down.
    It comes down with gravity, by design.
    And down it came, and now it doesn't want to go back up.
    No joking. If I lift the end of the outfeed table the front feet come up off the floor, but the table doesn't budge. The goalposts moved!