Thread: Anyone make their own Lathe handles like the Sorby Sovereign System?

Anyone make their own Lathe handles like the Sorby Sovereign System?

Took a look at the Sorby Sovereign System that has the handle system that allows easy change out between different unhandled Turning tools. Has anyone made their handle system like the Sorby Sovereign ? Looks like it would not be too hard to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Took a look at the Sorby Sovereign System that has the handle system that allows easy change out between different unhandled Turning tools. Has anyone made their handle system like the Sorby Sovereign ? Looks like it would not be too hard to make.
    I haven't seen one of the Sorby handles. I make my own handle adapters from aluminum and steel. These use two set screws hold the tool. I drill a deep hole in the hand so I can set the tool in it as far as I need to avoid too much sticking out. I make the diameters appropriate for the tool size - I don't like gripping a large diameter adapter/collet/holder for a small diameter tool such as a 1/4" detail gouge.

Some I've made.

For 5/8" diameter tools shafts:
    Handle_adapters_roughing2_IMG_6006.jpg Handle_adpater_brass_01.jpg

Variety:
    textured_handles_hunterIMG_.jpg handle_inserts.jpg

Adapters made from aluminum or brass can be turned on the wood lathe with normal woodturning tools.

JKJ

I've made all kinds of handles. The one like you are talking about I made with a length of thin walled steel tubing, then turned plugs for each end and brazed them in. One plug is drilled and reamed for 1/2", the other end drilled and reamed for 3/8". To make them like I do, you need a metal lathe and a torch. I still greatly prefer wood handles. Warm all year round and it must reduce vibration because they just feel better. I guess I could turn a wooden tube and epoxy in metal plugs. I'll try that next.

Robust makes a collet system http://www.turnrobust.com/product/to...2016%E2%80%B3. I have the smaller size and when I travel, if ever, I don't have to take multiple wood handles along, just one works for 1/2 inch down.