Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wheels for Grinder? Gee Whilickers. Which ones?

On the 5 inch, that is what was mentioned, but maybe just kidding and it was 6 inches. I do recall Baldor, pretty sure 1/3 HP and definitely the slower speed

Garrett Hack and 6" grinder (at start) ...

... and 8" grinder ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Still using my 6" grinder..with it's OEM wheels, one coarse, and one fine. Since I also need such a grinder for other, non-woodworking tasks....And limited space IN the shop...seems to be the perfect fit for MY shop....YMMV, of coarse...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

On the Garrett Hack Videos 8 inch and 6 inch, the one with the 6 inch was at his shop. The one with the 8 inch was at a different location and perhaps that is what he was given to work with. For me, I will go with 6 inch even though I have 8 inch wheels and an 8 inch Delta grinder. I liked using the 6 inch wheel, and I trust my teacher's advice. I thought the topic would be of interest on this thread.

I came to better the appreciate the value of frequent touch up grinding-sharpening, and so I will make a special effort to setup the grinder and sharpening stones so that things are always ready to go to encourage use.

I have a 6, an 8 and a tormek with a 10 inch wheel. All my hand tools are hollow ground on the tormek. I personally don't see a reason for the 6 inch. I sharpen and hone on the steel plates from LV and use Norton waste-based diamond paste. 15 micron and 1/2 micron. I have 45 micron and a very coarse plate just in case but don't use those as much. Off the tormek, it takes about a minute to sharpen, if that.

Why do you need such a large hollow?

https://www.finewoodworking.com/proj...and-techniques

I came across this 2021 Fine Woodworking article last night. Not sure if you need to be a logged in subscriber to view. The author specifically mentions he prefers the 6 inch stating the hollow is better with the smaller wheel.

For me, I buy into the advantages of the smaller wheel. I see some are ok with the 3450 RPM but I will go with the slower speed. As for wheels, I see some prefer a friable wheel which will run cooler than certain other wheels, but I think I will go with 80/180 CBN. I see there are options with more flat across the surface vs slight crown, and I will seek the slight crown.

Seeing the setup at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship with 6 inch wheel and water stone sharpening method in use over the full week workshop (they did not use the CBN wheels), I will stick to hollow grinding and water stone sharpening.

Clearly, like with most things, there is not universal agreement, and this seems to be especially the case with sharpening!

There IS one very important tool to have....a Wheel Dresser. you can either dress a flat face to the friable wheels, or and a rounder shape IF you want. I tend to keep mine flat...

I also use that grinder for a lot of other, Non-sharpening tasks....

So, IF you buy the grinder and the wheels that come with it.....be sure to pick up the wheel dressing tool, as well.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use