Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP -- Globs of shellac -- how to remove?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    The cans rust out because the denatured alcohol attracts and combines with humidity in the air. They coat the inside of the cans, but it only lasts so long before there is a rust issue and a leak.
    The shellac itself is also acidic, which further accelerates the eating off the steel, and probably why ammonia breaks it down.

I've probably had 4 or so cans leak in 20 years. They tend to be the one that I forgot on a shelf somewhere and only discover a year or two later. The cans I am actively using seem like they don't leak for whatever reason.

Final report from Rustoleum: They are giving me a refund for the ruined can but they are not doing anything to prevent the leak in the future because, they say, they can't figure out what is the problem. I did suggest that "if they cared" they would review the comments in this thread. My solution will be to put the shellac in glass bottles.

The manufacturer's claimed ignorance Could be just blowing you off or it could be that the complaint department is staffed by trainees, summer students etc.

The timing here is amazing. Just yesterday, I went out to my bench and found that my Zinsser Sealcoat can had sprung a leak - all over the tool tray on my bench. This is the second time a can of this stuff has popped a leak. This just irritates the devil out of me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    ... This is the second time ....
    Fool me once..., fool me twice....

Seriously folks, Mason jars! The leaking problem may be rare in context of Zinsser's total production, but it's way too common to risk it happening (again) in your shop.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Fool me once..., fool me twice....

Seriously folks, Mason jars! The leaking problem may be rare in context of Zinsser's total production, but it's way too common to risk it happening (again) in your shop.
    You're right of course. I just hate having combustibles in glass if I can avoid it. But there are probably other solutions. Maybe I'll try one of those Stop Loss bags. The ad claims it's ok for alcohol based products.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Frederick,

Did you call Rustoleum? They claim to have had NO complaints. If they don't know about the problem, they won't try to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    Frederick,

Did you call Rustoleum? They claim to have had NO complaints. If they don't know about the problem, they won't try to fix it!
    Good point. I will do that.