Thread: Anyone still using the old Veritas honing guide?

Anyone still using the old Veritas honing guide?

I found this guide in a box of my old sharpening stuff. What would you call it? A Mark I ?? I remember it being frustrating to get a chisel clamped square, but I want to give it one more chance.

Do any of you still use it? I made a protrusion stop, but I still have trouble clamping a chisel square...especially a narrow one.

Is it junk and I should just get rid of it?

IMG_20200729_190631.jpg

I have one and still use it after all these years. It is a little more difficult to square up narrow chisels, but I've managed to use it along with the angle setting jig very well. I used the silicon carbide sand paper on glass method and have been happy.

I haven't used the newer version so I can't compare it.

Veritas angle setting jig.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 08-03-2020 at 6:01 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

I still have but don't use it since I got the MK II and then bought the narrow chisel attachment. When I used it it was fine for wider chisels and plane blades but I struggled with narrower chisels.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Gonzalez View Post
    I still have but don't use it since I got the MK II and then bought the narrow chisel attachment. When I used it it was fine for wider chisels and plane blades but I struggled with narrower chisels.
    E

Exactly the same for me.

Still have the angle jig....somehow, the guide wound up in the firepit....don't really miss it..

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    E

Exactly the same for me.
    Ditto. And the Mk II is not just better at narrow chisels, it holds everything more square w/o slippage and seems to roll better.

Of course we'd all be better off if we weren't clumsy and/or losing our sight and didn't need the durned thing.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    Ditto. And the Mk II is not just better at narrow chisels, it holds everything more square w/o slippage and seems to roll better.

Of course we'd all be better off if we weren't clumsy and/or losing our sight and didn't need the durned thing.
    My only wish is that the ‘narrow’ apparatus fit plane blades too. The over/under clamping was so fiddly that I ended up buying the Lie Nielsen jig.

Blog Entries
    I have one and like it.
    You could take a piece of 2x4 and make a triangle shaped honing block.

Blog Entries
    I have one and use it, but it doesn't like my tapered chisels. A small square against the frame helps when trying to get irons and chisels square.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I had one 20 years ago. I had trouble with tapered chisels and getting things fully square. I think I threw it away when I adopted the Eclipse-style jig and a different method to check angles (see Dick Mahaney's angle-setting jig).

Lately I went looking for it, to see if it would help with my new skew chisels, but it's nowhere to be found.

I still use it for my plane blades on waterstones. I sharpen my chisels free-hand.

I forgot about the angle setting jig Dick mentions above. I dug around and found it last night.

I tried to clamp a narrow chisel and it's still hard to get and keep it square. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I forgot about the angle setting jig Dick mentions above. I dug around and found it last night.

I tried to clamp a narrow chisel and it's still hard to get and keep it square. Very frustrating.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if that isn’t why they introduced the thin chisel holder for the mark ii. It isn’t much more fun (I imagine) doing chisels on the standard mk ii holder.

The Mk I is useful because of the angle setter.

I was using it today to grind the bevels on two NOS Fujikawa mortice chisels (6mm and 8mm). One had a 40 degree bevel and the other a 35 degree bevel. I wanted 30 degrees on both. These needed to be hand ground for a flat bevel. Most of the work was done on 120 grit sandpaper, but then these chisels moved to Coarse and Fine diamond stone, before ending up on waterstones.

Setting the bevel for 30 degree is facilitated by the angle guide ...

The Veritas Mk I handles the large chisel blade quite comfortable. It is fine with tapered blades as the hold down pivots to the required angle. However care needs to be taken to square the blade. The wide wheel is better for stabilising chisels than the narrow wheel on an Eclipse. Six of one and half dozen of the other ...

A better honing guide for this process is the Side Skate, which is designed for side sharpening. Set it up the same way ...

... then sharpen sideways. This is stable and leaves a perfect bevel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The Veritas Mk I handles the large chisel blade quite comfortable. It is fine with tapered blades as the hold down pivots to the required angle. However care needs to be taken to square the blade. The wide wheel is better for stabilising chisels than the narrow wheel on an Eclipse. Six of one and half dozen of the other ...
    Thanks Derek. Good point about the MK I doing fine with tapered and large (thicker) chisel blades.

My main problem seems to be clamping the chisel square. I use a small machinists square, but it only perches on one side of the honing guide. So, achieving square and tightening it down seems to need one or two more hands than I've got.