Thread: Searching for leg design

Blog Entries

Searching for leg design

My sister brought me a table and wants me to make some legs for it. It is a two teir square table. The legs fit in these dovetailed slots on the bottom side of the top. The slf is attached to the legs with screws. I need to know what the leg ends that go into these slots look like and how they lock into the four slots. The sides of the circular portion are straight not sloped in any way. Here is one of the slots.
    20200803_151320.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Pretty sure I saw a joint like that on a table restoration video...just can’t find the vid at the moment. As I recall, it was a round tenon with a dovetail cut into it. The round tenon fit into the hole and it was tapped sideways to slide into the dovetailed slot.

Blog Entries
    Capt.,

To maximize strength/gluing surface, seems like objective would be to have the longest possible male sliding DT that engages with DT housing. In other words, ideally you would like to have male sliding DT across the entire width of the table leg. FWIW, you might want to consider extending depth of open mortise/recess equivalent to depth of DT, back towards the middle of the table so that you can insert entire table leg to the depth of DT housing and then slide entire leg DT to the full width of the leg into the dovetail housing. From my perspective, I'm not sure round mortise/tennon adds much value.

Either way, might consider adding external glue blocks (if design/visibility allows) to reinforce the sliding DT.

Sorry for windy comment. Good luck with the project. I look forward to following your progress.

Best, Mike

Wouldn't a screw head fit?