Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Question

Camera Question

First of all I know nothing about DSLR's but have a love for photography. Always had Digital point and shoots, but their limited in what they can do. Anyway long story short a Friend of mine gave me one of his old cameras a Canon 60D the day he gave it to me he took off on a vacation to return who knows when LOL so I can get help from him. I was looking thru the view finder and too a couple pic's and then the finder went dark.Went online did all they said still no view finder . I decided to take the lens off and found the mirror had fallen off.
    My question is can I just glue the mirror back on. l looked at sending it in but its very expensive. My other alternative is just take the mirror out and use the LCD screen but I'd really rather use the view finder.
    So what do you think can I glue the mirror back in?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    This is one of the situations where it is difficult to give a valid reply without having had the same problem or being able to see an image of the construction of the assembly.

It may be the mirror holder is a friction fit, a spring holder or it may have been glue that failed.

Is there a way you can post an image?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I looked up the selling price of a used Canon 60D on eBay and it's under $200. So I'd try to glue the mirror back on - you won't lose too much if you destroy the camera. I'd try super glue if that's the way the mirror is attached.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

this is what it looks like I can tell you its just the mirror came out the holder is still in there d60.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Contact cannon they had free warranty repair on some of there SLR's mirrors. They reglue it and add support clips on both sides as well. Do not add too much weight since it has to move fast. Your camera may be too old and no longer has the recall parts made.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Contact cannon they had free warranty repair on some of there SLR's mirrors. They reglue it and add support clips on both sides as well. Do not add too much weight since it has to move fast. Your camera may be too old and no longer has the recall parts made.
    Bill D

yea the recall was not for this camera
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'm gonna go ahead and try to glue it in. I don't have any super gluer but I do have some Gorilla Clear grip which works really well on the things I've used it on.Wish me luck, LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

well I glued it in a hour or more ago just took a few test pictures, so far so good, its holding
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

now the shutter seems to be sticking. I'm getting a shadow across the bottom half of my shots. Would it hurt anything to spray some contact cleaner in there see if it loosens things up?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I wouldn’t spray anything in there but would jostle it around some and upside down too, medium light smacks should do it.

Just looked into this camera, original retail $1099--
    shutter1.jpg shutter2.jpg
    --and has a vertical plane shutter, which means it's possible the vapor from the superglue gassing off found it's way to the shutter leaves and is causing them to stick.

Another possibility is the mirror isn't opening all the way. The mirror swivels from the bottom-up, and pics are projected onto the CCD upside-down, so if the mirror isn't raising far enough, it'll cast a shadow onto the top of the CCD, which would be the bottom of the photo...

Examine the photos, if the shadow does look like a shadow, darkening the image but the image is still there, then it's likely the mirror is in the way.

If the shutter isn't fully opening, it will totally block the light reaching the CCD, and the bottom of the photo will be pretty much jet black..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

the top 2 3rds of the image is clear the bottom is dark shadow. doesn't happen on every picture but at least 75% of them. Don't have anytime today till later this afternoon to play with it. PGR all morning.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    the top 2 3rds of the image is clear the bottom is dark shadow. doesn't happen on every picture but at least 75% of them. Don't have anytime today till later this afternoon to play with it. PGR all morning.
    Dark shadow means it's getting some exposure, just not as much as it should.

Off the top of my head, it could be the mirror not raising all the way. (Did your glue job add extra weight? Make something rough that might me binding?)

Or, it could be the leading shutter blade dragging over that last third of it's travel. (Your shutter uses blades, or sets of blades, the first opens supposedly at a fixed speed and the other follows at the same speed after your exposure interval. Everything gets the same exposure, though a very slightly different points in time. If the first set slows down at the end and the second doesn't, that section of your exposure gets some light, but not as much as the rest of the photo.)

take the lens off and release the shutter and tell us what happens.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Thanks for the refresher on shutters Dave

--it helps with theorizing the problem... shutter speed is determined 2 ways. The shutter is essentially TWO shutters, one fully opens at its max speed, the other shutter follows to close, at the same max speed. The camera's baseline shutter speed depends on the time it takes for the first to fully open plus the time for the second to fully close. In the old days, horizontal-travel shutters baseline speed was typically ~1/125 second, vertical shutters (like this Canon's) ~1/250th. -if I remember correctly ; -- could be 1/60 and 1/125... Anyway- slower than baseline shutter speeds require the second shutter to wait before closing, and faster shutter speeds require the second shutter to begin closing before the first shutter is fully open. At high speeds, the shutters get very close to each other, leaving a very thin slit for the light to pass thru..

SO -- IF one of the shutters is dragging, then what happens depends on which one is dragging. If the first (leading) shutter drags, the second shutter may close the gap before full exposure. Result, the unexposed portion of the photo will likely be black. If the second (trailing) shutter drags, then the result will be a full photo but the portion where the drag occurred will be overexposed...

Because you're getting some exposure, and you haven't mentioned overexposure, my guess is the mirror is the issue. Ways to test: take some photos at 1/30, 1/60 second, 1/250, 1/500 speeds. If the shadow goes away on the slow exposures, and appears on the fast exposures, then the mirror is moving its full travel but isn't moving fast enough. If the shadowed image is apparent in ALL the pics, then the mirror isn't moving its full travel and is partially blocking the light; something may be restricting it's travel...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 08-01-2020 at 2:09 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle