Thread: Stand up Chainsaw mill

Stand up Chainsaw mill

I was looking at the Norwood PM14 chainsaw mill which is a stand up version as it runs on a track or alluminum ladder. Am thinking about it more for slabbing logs in thicker sections for bowl blanks rather than cutting lumber. I have tons of hardwood lumber here on my place and machinery to handle the logs.
    I like the ergonomics of the set up since you can stand up to push the saw thru. It looks much more user friendly than an Alaskan mill. Does anyone own one of these or have any feedback from using one?

I like the idea of being able to process logs into usable wood but I think you'll spend a lot more time cutting than you realize. An Alaskan mill is cheap so it's tempting. That one you posted looks like it gets around most of the pitfalls (like bending over and being close to the chain). But it's not cheap. If it doesn't work well enough you've just put about 1/4 the cost of a band mill into it. I can't offer any first hand knowledge but would love to know how well it works if you do get one.

It was unclear how large of log you could put on the mill. It's hard to see how much of the bar length is wasted because of the way the saw bolts on. I heard back from the company and it sounds like 15-16" logs are about it and a 24" bar will handle those. A lot of the timber I have is larger than 16". If I thought I could find a market for fresh cut 5/4 or8/4 I'd spring for a bandsaw mill. I don't want to gear up for air drying lumber starting at 65yrs old. I could just go fishing instead I guess.

Go to youtube.Tons of videos and reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Don Frank View Post
    It was unclear how large of log you could put on the mill. It's hard to see how much of the bar length is wasted because of the way the saw bolts on. I heard back from the company and it sounds like 15-16" logs are about it and a 24" bar will handle those. A lot of the timber I have is larger than 16". If I thought I could find a market for fresh cut 5/4 or8/4 I'd spring for a bandsaw mill. I don't want to gear up for air drying lumber starting at 65yrs old. I could just go fishing instead I guess.
    I was 64 when I bought my bandsaw mill. I milled about 8 - 9000 bf this past summer.

It's never too late to start.

John