Thread: Selecting finish for red oak tables ??

Selecting finish for red oak tables ??

I just finished constructing 3 sofa tables out of red oak. My wife will stain them. The question is - what to apply over the stain?
    Several, several years ago I used Formby's tung oil which I really liked. So, I went to Menard's and bought a can of Minwax tung oil. But my wife said it was very thick, sticky, hard to wipe off. I liked the look of the finished product, but too hard to work with (really surprised here as my recollection of applying tung oil was one reason to choose it - went on, wiped, so easy). So, back to Menard's and can of Watco Teak Oil. Haven't tried it, yet, but not sure if it's what I want. What's the difference between teak oil, danish oil, tung oil? I also saw that Watco has stain/wiping oil combinations - are these good or bad?

Bottom line, I just like the look of the oil applied finish - any suggestions?

Thanks.

"Danish Oil" is typically an oil/varnish mixture with variable amounts of thinner for consistency. You can make your own or buy a product. Tung Oil is a drying oil...assuming you get pure tung oil. Many products from "name" companies are not actually tung oil and will typically have a name like "tung oil finish"...if it doesn't say pure tung oil, it's not. The Formby's product is likely an example. Minwax killed that brand, however. An alternative is BLO (boiled linseed oil) which is also a drying oil. I'm not familiar with teak oil, but it's probably also some kind of mixture.

What you use for your project really depends on what kind of table it is and how it's going to be used. Watco is easy to use as it's generally a wiping finishing which means easy application of the 8-12 coats you need. It's also durable. I cannot say for sure if the "teak oil" variant is the same as the regular Watco product however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Try a homemade wiping varnish, 50/50 oil based polyurethane and mineral spirits/turpentine. Pick the sheen of the polyurethane you like. I prefer satin Minwax Fast Drying polyurethane and gum turpentine. Always practice your finishing schedule on a sample first.