Thread: PM picture question

PM picture question

Is there a setting that allows me to attach pics from my computer to a PM? I only have the choice of directing to a url.
    2020-08-03_07h39_26.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Is there a setting that allows me to attach pics from my computer to a PM? I only have the choice of directing to a url.
    2020-08-03_07h39_26.jpg
    Bill,

There is no setting for this as far as I know. However, I discovered a work-around I've used many times.

Since putting a photo in a PM requires a URL to the photo, some people will upload a photo to a photo hosting site. SMC is a photo hosting site in itself using the photo albums. You can upload a photo into an album, retrieve the URL to that photo, and paste it directly into a PM. This will insert the photo at full size instead of a thumbnail so make sure the photo is sized appropriately for the screen before uploading. If you haven't used the albums click on your name and scroll down in the left panel to find the album feature and upload a photo. I have three pages of woodturning photos there if you want to take a look: https://sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=862

After you upload a photo into an album, simply click on it then select and copy and paste the BB Code it gives you into the message. Note that you don't have to use the dialog, just past the text of the code directly into the message.

This is also a good way to post a full-sized photo into any message on the forum (such as this one) in the event you don't want a thumbnail. For example, uploaded this photo with the dialog and for comparison inserted the BB code from one of my SMC album pages.

From photo upload dialog:
    top_sequence.jpg

From album:

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about doing this. I'll be out working around the farm most of the day but can check later if someone else didn't answer.

JKJ

Thx John. Looks like the image is 1000 x 869. Sound about right?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Thx John. Looks like the image is 1000 x 869. Sound about right?
    Yes, but the size doesn't matter much unless the picture is too big to view comfortably on the screen. On mine, it fits without scrolling but looks too big for comfort. I generally resize photos between 640 and 800 in the largest dimension for posting on forums and email and compress them until they are less than 100 Kb.

Notice that clicking on the thumbnail displays a smaller photo although the two are identical. The SMC display routine limits the displayed size. No such limits when referencing a photo directly.

JKJ