Thread: Rikon 10-346 question

Rikon 10-346 question

A couple of years ago there was a thread on the Laguna 18 BX vs the Rikon 10 346. There was a lot of discussion about the qualities of the Laguna but there was no discussion about the Rikon unit. I find myself ready to upgrade to a 18'' bandsaw and have narrowed it down to these two units. It appears that everyone who has the 18" Laguna is pleased, but i would like to hear from some 346 owners. Is the Rikon unit really professional grade in terms of quality of componentry and fit?
    The horsepower is most likely not much of a factor but the extra 3" of resew might be useful occasionally when a big log comes along. I have a good 10" that i use for quick cuts and curves so the bigger saw would be pretty much dedicated to straight cuts and bowl blank creation.

I have one of the smaller Rikons, not the model you're interested in. For what it's worth, I've not been hugely impressed with it - for example, the fence is inadequate and there are some odd manufacturing choices (such as set screws made out of such soft plastic that they strip almost immediately). On the other hand, the performance while cutting is generally good (with the exception of the mediocre fence). Personally, I'm not sure I'd invest 18" bandsaw money in the Rikon without the opportunity to look one over in person and without a dealer who's willing to stand behind the product. (In Canada, I'd recommend Lee Valley, but I don't think they carry the 18" model.)

The horsepower is most likely not much of a factor but the extra 3" of resew might be useful occasionally when a big log comes along.
    This doesn't really make sense to me. The second you start sawing big stuff like logs; HP is absolutely a factor. Especially when you have over 12" of blade in the cut.

Another thing to really be looking at instead of comparing your resaw size with your buddy's is the frame or spine strength. That is what's really important in a bandsaw because it determines how much tension you can put on a blade. No sense having 19" of resaw (except for bragging ) when your jointer or lathe will only accommodate 12" either.

I believe the 346 has been discontinued, so if you can find one you should be able to get a really good price. It's replacement is seems like a lot of saw for the money. It's going to allow for more tension than a 18BX Lots of people like Laguna's ceramic guide system.

might be useful:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....or-laguna-18bx