Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

3 Aug 2020

Greetings,
    Thought I'd get a jump on getting this posted.
    I got the doors done on the new kitchen pantry, got them hung up, aligned and now I am making a corner shelf that will mount to the side of it for the LOML's cookbooks and etc. This week, I plan on making the bottom track for the sliding pantry doors and get the curved shelves cut for the rest of her desired setup. I am oncall at the day job this week and I managed to survive last weeks round of layoffs. I got some Linux script work done and put into semi-production state and this piece will be finalized this week. I did manage to get some cleaning done in the shop as well as drawing up what my new miter saw cutting area will turn into once I get the time and the money.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Using power washer I fixed last week, power washed house next door that we own. Ceder siding, unstained, with three years worth of dirt on it. Installed LED shop light in detached garage of the same house. Started cutting out Toys For Tots Car bodies. In two sessions, cut 248 bodies. Only 702 more to go, for a total of 950. Over the last 20+ years, I have cut out over 20,000 of these. Takes about an hour and a half to mark out and cut a hundred. Did monthly generator test today. Welder didn't produce any AC, so after Tuesday will check to see what's going, or not going on. Tuesday, we are expecting the effects of tropical storm or hurricane depending upon it's strength.Filled gas cans for generator in case of power loss. Planning on raising collards in a friend's old garden plot, so sprayed the grass and weeds with Round Up. Garden hasn't been used in three years, so there were plenty of weeds, plus Bermuda grass. Wife and I had planned on take out from Olive Garden last night, but both times I called, they put me on hold. So we fixed dinner here. Today, made biscuits for myself, grandson and widows in our group from Sunday School. Distributed them this morning, and went to Walmart for a couple items while we were out. Sure miss being able to get together as a group!

Blog Entries
    I built the standard flip top table for my sander and planer.

Sander Planer.jpg
    And I finally finished up the laundry room shelves. You don't want to know how long that took me versus the couple of days I expected!
    Laundry Room.jpg

Making some face frames; tried the tenons with my band saw, not happy with the result; tried with the table saw, mmmmph. Ended up cutting by hand, just as fiddly, but they fit ok.
    Picked up a brand new Gramercy Sash Saw and tried it on my tenons. It feels unwieldy especially in the small tenons I'm making. More practice, I guess.
    Feeling blessed to be really healthy in these times.
    Dennis, how's your back? Sciatica easing off? What about your new boss? Hope things are calming down for you.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Good progress there, Dennis!

All of my "woodworking" in the past week was focused on a room renovation in the house, including replacing a section of the existing floor which will become the subfloor, electrical work, stabilizing a plaster wall, installing one of two windows, painting the non-functional (safety related) fireplace and preparing for "green board" on that same plaster wall to fully mitigate the situation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Continued to make progress on office cabinets. I got the drawer bottom grooves machined in all the drawer sides, cut and prefinished the drawer bottoms, and glued up all 12 drawers. That's enough dovetail gluing for me for a while, thank you. Although I used to use an acid brush to spread glue on dovetails but switched to using of these for this round:

Glue spreader.jpg

Found it to be much faster and neater than the acid brush. The insides of the drawers were all prefinished, but I need to do a touch of sanding on the outsides and then spray them.

Also got all the wiring done in the office; installed 6 new receptacles in the right place (hopefully) for the new cabinets, and ran the low voltage wire that will eventually power the under and over cabinet led lighting. We moved a bunch of files and shelves out of the office and pushed the remaining furniture to the center so I can remove the old baseboard (will replace with new after replacing the flooring), and paint the walls.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--